Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lighting Issue (Poor Headlights)

On 12/11/2016 at 0:14 AM, Heidfirst said:

will not be road legal I bet.

I have seen them on a number of 4x4's around here -Shropshire countryside- and on more and more trucks. As they would be connected to -either a switch or- to the main beam, I think the legality ought to be fine. As main beam lights are used when no one is approaching from the front... I don't see a problem. However, our laws are... well, only someone with the knowledge about such things would know... enter Frostyballs. :wink:

16 hours ago, bob809 said:

I have seen them on a number of 4x4's around here -Shropshire countryside- and on more and more trucks. As they would be connected to -either a switch or- to the main beam, I think the legality ought to be fine. As main beam lights are used when no one is approaching from the front... I don't see a problem. However, our laws are... well, only someone with the knowledge about such things would know... enter Frostyballs. :wink:

the lights will be legal for off road use but not on road. If you read the descriptions of them "off road" is used a lot but nothing mentions on road use. Also I have concerns about the mounting - the light pod would normally be roof- mounted but then the lights are too high for on road use legally, probably the same with bonnet mounted but additionally you would also then have concerns about pedestrian impact.

Pretty sure that this is another "grey area" case where it will be legal to sell but not use because the offence is caused by the installer/user.

Nothing to stop you using good, old auxiliary driving lights though as long as they comply with regs.

One can get road legal led light bars, but they tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the example. Not sure how easily they will fit the IQ.

If you have the original bulbs, might be worth considering replacing them as halogen bulbs deteriorate with age - see the following recent thread -

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 4:58 PM, Heidfirst said:

the lights will be legal for off road use but not on road. If you read the descriptions of them "off road" is used a lot but nothing mentions on road use. Also I have concerns about the mounting - the light pod would normally be roof- mounted but then the lights are too high for on road use legally, probably the same with bonnet mounted but additionally you would also then have concerns about pedestrian impact.

Pretty sure that this is another "grey area" case where it will be legal to sell but not use because the offence is caused by the installer/user.

Nothing to stop you using good, old auxiliary driving lights though as long as they comply with regs.

I appreciate what you are saying about the off-road use. Also, having seen a few more videos on their use, the light is too diffuse for road use as they give a much broader spread of light. Long time ago I had a pair of CIBIE (rally) lights on my Capri and those were rather good. However, I have been to the post by Steve_789 as shown in Frosty's post. I am going the same route for now, getting new bulbs. The mention of 'yellow' light from them struck a chord, and also the mileage on our car is similar, so that is what I am going to try first.

Thanks Steve for -sorry about this- highlighting this issue, and Frosty for pointing me in the right direction. This Forum should come with a warning, Good Advice given for free. Cheers guys. :smile: