Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 2008 2.2

Mick Carroll

Hello. 

I bought my 2008 SR180  2.2TD back in the summer. For the last 7 to 8 weeks  it takes a couple of attempts to start in the morning or evening .  Once started and driven .  Turn it off and it's starts instantly .  No sluggishness when starting up. 

I have changed the Battery and glow plugs. But it's still doing it.

Has anyone had the same hassle  and found out what the problem to be able to fix it?

Thanks. 

Mick

Hello Michael - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Auris club.

If you're having difficulty starting when the engine is cold (sounds like it by your description) - 

Search this forum for 2.2 180 SCV (Suction Control Valve)...

It is not unheard of your starting issue. If it is this issue - the fix could be an ECU reprogram or a new SCV and an ECU reprogram. 

Thanks  again for the replies . 

I've changed the scv. Buts it's still  starting very sluggish on cold starts .  I call toyota about an ecu software update .  But they've said they're booked out until February.  Will this harm the new scv I installed?

Cheers.

Mick

I recently posted problems about my 180 that I bought back I'm summer. 

My main problem is the car starting very sluggish in mornings needing at least two attempts to fire up and the same in the evenings after work. Once finished driving home, switching it off and waiting 2 mins, it fires up without any sluggishness .  If Parked for an hour or more and I go to fire it up, it tends to be sluggish. It takes at least 2 attempts and after 3 to 4 seconds  it ticks over smoothly 

I've done the following changes

1. New Heater plugs fitted . 

2. scv fitted

3.Installed a new Battery

The same problem seems to be still occurring . 

I did call toyota about doing anothing ecu software update , but they're booked until February .  And I've fitted the the scv.  Does that mean the valve will be damaged ?

Any advice would be very much be appreciated from someone that has experienced the same problem and has fixed it after finding the exact fault.

I'm also considering changing the starter motor . This is all just very frustrating . 

Merry Christmas 

Mick

Total long shot. Air leak into the diesel line?

My bro-in-law had this with his Jeep, and it cost him a fortune at the dealers before his local independent spotted it. (Cause was a badly fitted fuel filter.) Every night, his fuel would drop back and then in the morning it would take a while to make it back into the injectors, hence the slow starting.

Not sure whether this can still happen with the most modern common rail diesels, because a dry-running fuel pump is Very Bad News. But just thought I'd ask.It nearly drove him crazy. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Hey, can anyone tell me if changing the SCV on the Auris Sr180 requires it to be plugged in after for a software update or is it just a straight plug and play swap?

cheers