Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota 5 yr Warranty

Gavin TR

Hi all,

new to this forum so forgive me please if I'm going over old ground. I've a 12 Avensis d4d with 52000mls. Alternator V belt is making a slipping/flapping noise at certain speeds/gears when accelerating. I know it needs replacing but I thought as still some of the warranty left to run and considering the miles it may be covered under warranty. But I've been told by Toyota dealer it's not covered as car is in last year of its warranty and it's considered a wear and tear item. 

Anyone know if this is the case? Or is the dealer just not interested as car wasn't purchased there?

Thanks,

Gavin.

At that mileage I would say it's wear and tear. 

• Like 1

Iirc  someone has raised a similar case on the Toyota blog & their reply was that if it was under 60k they would replace it but it might have been on a younger car. Have you been in touch with Toyota UK CS?

• Like 1

Thanks guys for those prompt replies. Yeah I rang Toyota CS, they took the details, raised a case for me and assured me someone would call me within 3-4 days, but that was over a fortnight ago. 

I might just order the belt and replace myself, just thought if there was any chance of getting it done under warranty I'd explore it. 

Don't suppose ya'd have a link to this belt?? Can't find a listing on eBay or the parts links on here. 

Thanks again,

Gavin. 

Chase them up then. Just realised that you are in RoI where Toyotas only have a 3 year warranty afaik so that may cause an issue unless you take it across the border, service history may also come into it.

Have you asked Partsking (Lindop Toyota) for a price?

• Like 1

Yeah ROI, but car was bought new in Northern Ireland and serviced from new by NI Toyota dealership, full history. I just live across border. I knew when I bought it I'd have no earn going to an ROI dealership.

Got price of €62 inc vat, approx £50stg from Toyota dealer out here. Does that sound bout right??

Thanks,

Gavin. 

Sounds like a good price! Not worth getting your hands dirty!

Yeah, the belt doesn't cost much and if it's anything like my Yaris the job should be pretty easy (Hopefully it's not like my dad's!!)

5 hours ago, Gavin TR said:

Got price of €62 inc vat, approx £50stg from Toyota dealer out here. Does that sound bout right??

Just for the belt or incl. fitting?

• Like 1

That's just for the belt, I didn't ask what it would cost fitted. 

11 hours ago, gloucester said:

Sounds like a good price! Not worth getting your hands dirty!

Price quoted was for genuine Toyota belt only 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a wee update for those who may be interested. I rang Toyota GB customer care regarding fan belt replacement in final year of warranty. And some days later I got a call from Northern Ireland Toyota dealership to discuss my issues. Long story short I booked the car in and asked them to do a service as it was due anyway and figured it may be a good idea to have last service done by dealer before warranty runs out and obviously look at replacing fan belt under warranty. Also passenger side wing mirror indicator wasn't working and I also asked them to looked at my alloys as some were showing signs of corrosion. They replaced my indicator and fan belt which I was very pleased about. My service cost £180 bit steep but probably the norm for main dealer.

But the real surprise was the phone call I got two days later to say my alloys had be cleared for replacement 😀 

Im sure they'll only replace affected alloys but that's fine by me I've only one that's really bad. I'll update later and let ya's know how that goes. 

Gavin.

• Like 1

Good that they did the belt under warranty.  Could have said wear and tear. Wheels good too. 

Well dealer originally said no and cited wear and tear. But Toyota must have contacted them and I then got call from dealer. The service guy that rang me said if car has less than 60k miles which mine had, they will consider changing belt. 

I was more surprised when they covered the indicator as it was cloudy looking, water Ingres for sure but there were no signs of damage on it. 

I think dealers attitude changed when I asked to have car serviced. Originally they told me they'd be a £79 charge to have these things looked at but when service was mentioned they seemed very cooperative. 

Delighted with decision on alloys

• Like 1

Good to hear of a positive outcome.  I once worked with a young female photographer from Donegal. 15 years ago at Queens University,  Belfast. Don't remember her name. She had wild hair! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

just a quick update. All 4 alloys were replaced under warranty. I'd originally thought they'd only replace affected wheels. Great result 😀

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links