Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris 1.8 SR gearbox crunch

onnaj

Hi, 

I'm a proud owner of a beautiful Yaris 1.8 SR from 2007 with 140.xxx km (approx 80.xxx miles).

It drives really well but sometimes it crunches from 2nd to 3rd gear and you feel it almost crunches from 4th to 5th Gear. When i had the testdrive I didn't crunch at all. The crunch isn't always existing, sometimes it just changed gear as new, sometimes a bit stiff and sometimes it crunches. With colder weather it tends to crunch more, but with really cold weather (-5 and lower Celsius) it doesn't crunch. 

My first thought was the synchromesh but it never crunches when downshifting, almost never when warm and neither when I shift at redline or so. 

I guess it has something to do with the hydraulic clutch system or maybe the gear selector forks or so? The clutch was replaced past year at 130.xxx km by the former owner. 

How you guys can help me out, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

No one? I don't hear the crunch as much before but still I want to solve it

When the clutch was replaced did the previous owner change the gearbox oil as your car requires a mono grade 75MT LV gear oil if they used a multigrade like 75w90 then you will can get gear shift issues like you describe.

I'll have to check what oil the previous owner has used, thanks for the tip!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links