Do Not Sell My Personal Information

louder flasher unit

valentino46

Can anyone help me locate the flasher unit on 2012 avensis tourer.  [ petrol]. I was wondering if I could change it for the one off the Auris ,as I am a bit deaf ,and that one seems a lot louder and  if it could be changed, I would not leave them on .... THANKS.

The indicator relays on modern Toyotas are digital. They lack the mechanical click of vehicles of yesteryear. I modified the setup on my t25 by incorporating a mechanical relay onto the wiring loom. If you're handy with a soldering iron and have a multimeter available then this can be easily achieved.

The following link fully describes how to do it. If the 2012 model has door mirror indicators then it will be a virtually identical procedure. If not a bit more ingenuity will be required. (I also added an indicator supplementary relay to my MR2 by breaking into the loom at the front light cluster taking the feed via a grommet into the passenger compartment - so it can be done). 

See:

If you were to swap the auris unit (assuming it would fit) you would need to consider whether the location on the Avensis dash contributes to the volume - is there more sound deadening material on the dash? Is the auris actually louder or not? 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

A also found that the indicator buzzer was so quiet that I could not hear it if the radio was on and this is potentially dangerous. I fitted a Piezo buzzer, just a few pounds from e bay. These are sold also for cars towing so that you know the trailer is indicating ok. Just a couple of wires connected in the boot-the buzzers show where to connect up. My buzzer is in the boot and it is loud enough now. A side benefit is that cyclist in front and behind get an audible signal that I am there and making a manaeover, they think it is a truck but helps with safety and I always know that the indicators have cancelled after making a turn.

• Like 1

I am not sure it will fit,  the relay in the 2015/6 Avensis has been made with the traditional click sound and It's a lot louder than my previous 2011 model, I can't think that they would change the fitting but ?.

The piezo buzzer I fitted just connects to a couple of indicator wires to the rear flasher unit(s).