Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 190 top end knocking

Lainey

PLZ HELP!! Hi all, my celica 190 engine starting knocking today. Worse when idling. Started losing power, got 2 miles up the road and it cut out and now won't restart. Haven't had any problems with it before.  Any advice or ideas on problem would be helpful. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

what type of knock were you experiencing?? top end or bottom end?

• 3 months later...

Hi, thanks for your reply. The saga continues with my car. Turned out that the number 2 spark was totally disintegrated. Changed all plugs and coils. Had to helicoil no2. Car ran great except for a (slight ticking noise) for about a week then started lagging. Hardly any power at all until over the 2500 revs. Mechanic thought it was ecu but on changing that he noticed some frazzled wires which he thinks was caused by the coil melting. Fixed that and still wasn't right. Done oil and filter change and ran great again for 2 weeks. (When she does run she runs great and still getting lift at 6000).Now it is burning oil. Lags for a bit when I top up. No smoke or leaks but still had to put in 3 litres for a 140mile trip. Now it rumbles on idle and cuts out. I am absolutely demented with this car. There also seems to be a noise like a fan slowing down. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Should have added the the computer shows up no faults. Also cleaned the maf and sensor just incase it was that. 

8 hours ago, Lainey said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. The saga continues with my car. Turned out that the number 2 spark was totally disintegrated. Changed all plugs and coils. Had to helicoil no2. Car ran great except for a (slight ticking noise) for about a week then started lagging. Hardly any power at all until over the 2500 revs. Mechanic thought it was ecu but on changing that he noticed some frazzled wires which he thinks was caused by the coil melting. Fixed that and still wasn't right. Done oil and filter change and ran great again for 2 weeks. (When she does run she runs great and still getting lift at 6000).Now it is burning oil. Lags for a bit when I top up. No smoke or leaks but still had to put in 3 litres for a 140mile trip. Now it rumbles on idle and cuts out. I am absolutely demented with this car. There also seems to be a noise like a fan slowing down. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

How do you know it's burning oil if there is no smoke? Is there any oil in the coolant? Any mayo under oil filler cap?

Have you tried cleaning the ocv lift filter which is located behind the oil pump aswell as the ocv filter which is behind the altanator?

Hi thanks for your reply. No I don't think those filters have been changed. There was mayo under cap before oil change and old oil was really thick according to mechanic who done change.I know it's burning oil because of the amount it's using. There is no oil in coolant as far as i can see. 

1 hour ago, Lainey said:

Hi thanks for your reply. No I don't think those filters have been changed. There was mayo under cap before oil change and old oil was really thick according to mechanic who done change.I know it's burning oil because of the amount it's using. There is no oil in coolant as far as i can see. 

If I were you I'd have the oil and filter changed again, use full synthetic 5w30 and a genuine Toyota filter.

You might have coolant mixing with your oil as mayo in the filler cap area is an indicator of a head gasket issue. 

It could also gather a bit if oil wasn't changed regularly.

2zz engine are sensitive and need regular oil changes ideally every 5-7000 miles with good oil. By changing the oil again you can see what state the oil that is in the car is in aswell as flushing out some of the possible sludge in your sump and see if that helps again. 

TBH though it sounds like damage is already done!!!

On 5/17/2017 at 10:55 PM, Lainey said:

On 5/18/2017 at 0:09 AM, SanaYusuf said:

If I were you I'd have the oil and filter changed again, use full synthetic 5w30 and a genuine Toyota filter.

You might have coolant mixing with your oil as mayo in the filler cap area is an indicator of a head gasket issue. 

It could also gather a bit if oil wasn't changed regularly.

2zz engine are sensitive and need regular oil changes ideally every 5-7000 miles with good oil. By changing the oil again you can see what state the oil that is in the car is in aswell as flushing out some of the possible sludge in your sump and see if that helps again. 

TBH though it sounds like damage is already done!!!

I agree with Yusuf. The next set of questions and my general response, will cover what I have read from Lainey's posts. 

Lainey, how long have you owned the car and have you serviced the car during 2016? When you discovered the damaged spark plug, has the head been removed to see if the cylinder bore has been damaged by the debris. Also when the new thread was cut, no debris fell into the cylinder? The valves can also be inspected at the same time. 

Yusuf covered regular oil changes, and I will add spark plug inspection and change if necessary. What ever car I own or recently bought, I would check the engine and the car overall. Even if it came with paperwork showing things done recently. If no paperwork and I check items like air filter, cabin filter, oil level and quality, and the spark plugs, I will then carry out a service of my own. That's what I did when I bought my Avensis. The oil was good and clean. Service a month before, but the air and cabin filters needed changing. I had to get a spark plug socket (smaller size) to check and change the spark plugs, which were never changed! Other items later changes were wipers, and missing trim clips and Battery clamp securing rod and bolt were replaced too! Later I changed the oil and filter when it was due - it was starting to get a bit dirty after 11 months. It is too late for that now!

Basically I did not totally trust the cars history and condition, making sure everything was correct.

With the suspected damage engine, a compression test will tell you more. Then, I would have the head off or at least had a endoscope to see into the cylinder,and find out what is happening inside. This is a physical problem and diagnostic may not pick it up - that is why there is no EML. I think the cylinder bore is scored by the debris, so you are burning oil.

Lainey, you have choices of repair or replace the engine. 

Good luck.