Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Radio for dummies

Lauralou29

Hi all, my brother has just recently purchased a 2002 Rav4 (were UK based if any of that helps) it's just a standard model as far as I'm aware. He want's to be able to listen to mp3's so I was wondering how easy it was to remove the factory radio if I was to buy him a new radio, and would I only need to get a new facia (is that what it's called?) to obviously plug a gap left or would different wires etc be needed? I have changed radio's in other cars but that was just a straight swap one for one that fit, but obviously this is different!

Thanks in advance!

Hello Lauralou - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

You do have three other options:

1. The stereo may be able to play mp3's if they are copied onto a CDRW.

2. You could consider installing a USB adaptor - see

3. You could consider something like Xcarlink  - http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=11

or Connects2  -  http://www.connects2.co.uk/

I suggest what I have recently done, which is to plug a Yatour USB/SD Card unit into the CD changer socket.  You get the ability to access 6 folders, each with 99 tracks, from the radio controls, and it's easy enough to change the USB stick or SD Card for a fresh selection.

I bought mine from Amazon, having had a bad experience with a Chinese seller on EBay: this unit.  I also needed this adapter, to accommodate the plug already in the CD Changer socket.

It worked straight out of the box, and the sound quality is astonishing.  I can still use the Radio's CD drive, but there's no point.

From what I can see from looking at what has been suggested the changer socket is on the back of the radio, would I need to take out the radio to plug it in? where do you put it when it's plugged in and working? sorry if these seem like silly questions!

Yes, one would have to remove the stereo to access the CD changer socket.

Could have a look at the following, the first of which is a U.S. site and the dash may not be the same -

http://fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=117

YouTube video - excellent set of instructions.

I put my USB/SD Card Player in the cupholder tray.  Another option is in the glove box, or you could attach it to the lower edge of the dash with velcro.  With 6 times 99 tracks you don't need to access it very often :wink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links