Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which reservoir is this?

ZPM

Hi Everyone.

On a 2003 Avensis saloon, engine 1AZ, when looking from the front of the vehicle, there is on the LHS the screen washer bottle refill, then up nearly by the front screen, there is a rectangular shaped, light (almost white) plastic reservoir with a very narrow range between max and min indicated for the fluid on the side. Unfortunately, my colour vision won't allow me to tell you what colour the fluid should be. The reservoir is a bit unclean with age so not easy to see inside, but I think I need to get a top up of that fluid as I can't seem to see anything in it, even by rocking the vehicle. No warning lights have lit up.

Can anyone tell me which reservoir this is: brake, steering, coolant. . .? My owners's manual neither covers this part in any diagram nor refers to getting it checked at a dealership.

Many thanks,

ZPM

It sounds an awful lot like the brake reservoir to me and will most likely take DOT4 brake fluid.

If it is so low you can't see it though you really need to get the brakes checked over as either the brake pads are very worn and need replacing or there is a leak somewhere allowing the fluid to escape under the car. It might be time to get the fluid changed as well as brake fluid absorbs moisture and becomes less effective with age.
If there is a leak and the fluid gets so low that air enters the brake master cylinder you will loose the brakes on the car completely. 

Craig.

• Like 2

T22 or T25? Iirc T25 has electric power steering so wouldn't have a reservoir for that.

31 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

T22 or T25? Iirc T25 has electric power steering so wouldn't have a reservoir for that.

Are you sure Scott? I did some searches quoting T25 and 1AZ, and the power steering pump is hydraulic with a pulley. Maybe it all changed when the facelift and updates came along. Also check drive belt requirement and power steering is shown. 

The OP seems to describe the brake reservoir, which is the closest to the bulk head under the windscreen. The T25 has a lot of covers and some of the reservoirs are covered by this panel.

Why not ask somebody competent (and you trust), to check each of the reservoirs and list them for you. If the fluid is below the "max" mark, but above the "min", don't top up the brake fluid until the brake pads have been checked. If the pads are low, replacing them will cause the brake fluid to be forced out through the reservoir filler!

• Like 1

seem to recall my 2.2 D4D was electric (or maybe the reservoir just lived behind the engine covers so I don't remember it) & the 1ZZ was electric. Possibly the 1AZ was different - I came across 

the brake reservoir iirc is top left hand corner just under the scuttle.