Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Light Issues and upgrade

Coolissimo

Hi Avensis Owners Club,

I am having some issues with my head lights on my 2012 Avensis D4D  Estate, The head lights are not bright enough so I can not see clearly the road at night, it seems that the light bold is wear off a bit, so my question is : will it's the replacement be covered by the warranty?? And if not I was planning to replace them for a xenon or most likely by LED bulbs. My second question is : will  it be possible to replace them by a LED bulb and pass on MOT ? and what LED bulbs if you know that you would recommend?

I do appreciate all the answers.

Your bulbs won't be covered under warranty. Halogen bulbs do deteriorate with age. As far as I'm aware LED bulbs aren't road legal so you risk an MOT fail if having them fitted.

Why not look at either Philips X-treme +130% or Osram Nighbreaker Unlimited +110% bulbs, which are available from places such as Amazon.

• Like 2

Damn I just bought led lights for my T25 thinking they were road legal and the HID lights weren't.

9 hours ago, Coolissimo said:

And if not I was planning to replace them for a Xenon or most likely by LED bulbs. My second question is : will  it be possible to replace them by a LED bulb and pass on MOT ? and what LED bulbs if you know that you would recommend?

My understanding is that LED lights are only legal for cars where they were homologated with them & then they are require to have washers & self-levelling (as are Xenon).

• Like 2

Thanks Heidfirst

Do you know if the light bulbs that Toyota sells the ones that has more white light or the ones with more of the blueish light , are better or worse then the Philips X-treme +130%  said by Frost Balls??

Toyota sell three types of headlight bulbs:

Optifit - standard halogen

Optibright - up to 50% brighter than standard

Optiblue - blue'ish light up to 30% brighter than standard

Whereas, Osram Night Breaker Unlimited are up to 110% brighter than standard, and Philips X-treme +130% are up to 130% brighter than standard.

Would the reverse light be illegal if changed to led also and would that also be classed as a mod?

strictly speaking, yes & yes. Of course, you would have to be caught & imo the police are unlikely to have the inclination for a reversing light (which is also only rarely used).

However, supposedly there has been at least 1 case where an insurance claim was refused because number plate light(s) had been changed to LED.

• Like 1

Yes I actually have heard about the number plate  LED insurance refusal.bit crazy you would think that with all the health and safety minions around they would be happy with these types of brighter lights (in projector lenses only).

The T25 is terrible I've the nightbreakers in and still very poor.

Is your 06 T25 a facelift?

I had Philips XtremVision in my 07 T25 & they were OK (certainly much better than oem).

Cars with LED headlights do not have to  have washers fitted, mine has LEDs no washers. xenon headlights require washers.

Easiest way to tell if a bulb is legal is if it is E marked.

Legislation.gov.uk is a good source of reference. 

• Like 1

No heidfirst mines 06 pre-face lift.

Other cars lights "flood" mine you wouldn't know there on when a car passes mine.but bearable when I'm the only car on the road lol.

Thanks Frostyballs,

I was looking on eBay and on Amazon for the Philips X-treme +130%  but cant seem to find the with the right H11 , it looks that Philips does not have it for the H11, is that correct?

Checking the Philips site, they're available in H1, H4 and H7, though not H11.

The Osram Night Breaker Unlimited +110% are definitely available in H11, as I had these in my 2012 Auris.

Ring sell a 130% bulb in H11 fitting - Ring Xenon130 - and Halfords sell a version - Halfords 711 +130. As far as I'm aware both the Ring and Halfords bulbs are made by a company called Alise, and effectively will be the same bulbs. If you go for either of these, go for whichever is cheapest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Checking the Philips site, they're available in H1, H4 and H7, though not H11.

The Osram Night Breaker Unlimited +110% are definitely available in H11, as I had these in my 2012 Auris.

Ring sell a 130% bulb in H11 fitting - Ring Xenon130 - and Halfords sell a version - Halfords 711 +130. As far as I'm aware both the Ring and Halfords bulbs are made by a company called Alise, and effectively will be the same bulbs. If you go for either of these, go for whichever is cheapest.

Thanks again for the answer,

I have seen the Philips xtreme 100 % H11 bulb don't know if it is better then the others you said. Just wondering Frostyballs, how were you please with the Osram Night Breaker? and did you changed for another bulbs , that you find better then those?

8 hours ago, Falconmick said:

Try powerbulbs.com or autobulbsdirect, too many fakes on Ebay.

Thanks FalconMick,

I have tried that web site before and did not find any, seems Philips only does the 100% for H11 bulb fit. I just wanted a good bulb with bright light , but more whiter then yellowish

15 hours ago, frankie406 said:

No heidfirst mines 06 pre-face lift.

Other cars lights "flood" mine you wouldn't know there on when a car passes mine.but bearable when I'm the only car on the road lol.

ah there we go, I think that they made  changes to the headlights as part of the facelift (still weren't great but with upgraded bulbs were acceptable).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Falconmick said:

Cars with LED headlights do not have to  have washers fitted, mine has LEDs no washers. Xenon headlights require washers.

if they produce over 2000 lumen they are meant to so I guess that the Prius bulb doesn't?

1 hour ago, Coolissimo said:

Thanks again for the answer,

I have seen the Philips xtreme 100 % H11 bulb don't know if it is better then the others you said. Just wondering Frostyballs, how were you please with the Osram Night Breaker? and did you changed for another bulbs , that you find better then those?

Have fitted upgrade bulbs to all of our cars since 2000, bar the Aygo (which uses HIR2's, for which upgrades aren't available). Pleased with the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited's as they give a whiter light, are brighter and provide a longer beam. Especially effective if the car has projector headlights. Currently have them in the i20 - fitted to both the projector headlights and the steerable headlights - and very useful having the improved lighting especially when cornering.

Heidfirst what is your source of reference please?

Coolissimo just checked both sites and a few on both, I've used both Osram And Phillips previously and been happy with both. Check prices as they vary quite a bit sometimes between the two sites.

ECE Regulation 48 Part 6.2.9

" Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumens shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.11 "

• Like 1

The last few purchases of Osram Night breakers I've made have been from Amazon - cheaper than both Powerbulbs and Autobulbsdirect. Last purchased in May 2016.

So may be worth checking on Amazon to see whether they still sell them.

I am happy enough with the headlights of my T27 compared to my old T22. Actually when I replaced a blown headlight in the old car, the new bulb was brighter than the older one. I sold the car, so never changed the other one. Yes bulbs do get dimmer with age. I notice the difference when driving through unlit A26 in Sussex. I used the main beam more on the T22 than the T27. The other thing is to clean the headlights and the windscreen - plus the glasses. Every little helps. 🤓😎🤓🦉🕶👓 

When I do change the bulbs, Orsam Night breakers or Phillips or any other quality H11 bulbs will be options.  

Edited by Konrad C
grammar correction
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

ECE Regulation 48 Part 6.2.9

" Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumens shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.11 "

So 1500 lumens would be OK? Then just check with your insurance company to make it OK with them?