Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Aygo 2nd Clutch Problem

inertia

Hi Guys,

Basically my 2nd replacement clutch is now slipping and I will need a 3rd clutch kit for my 2007 Aygo.

I just want to see if anyone else is having the same issues with their clutches? I've never needed a new clutch for ANY of my cars before, 3 in 9 years... Not right!

I have always got my work done from a Toyota dealer.

Difficult to comment without any clues on mileage, type of use (urban, rural, motorway), period of time between clutch changes, etc.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Difficult to comment without any clues on mileage, type of use (urban, rural, motorway), period of time between clutch changes, etc.

Hi Frostyballs...

Mileage done from my 2nd clutch replacement is 15K (the car has only done 38K in total).

Type of use: Urban mainly

Period of time between clutch changes: 28 months (when my 2nd clutch was replaced)

The early Aygo/C1/107's were prone to premature clutch failures as the clutches used were far too small and inadequate for the car. These were resolved from at least 2010 onwards when they used the clutch from the Yaris as it was thicker.

I would check whether this is the thicker clutch you were given, or whether the mechanic who did the work did a like for like (so swapped the smaller clutch for the same small clutch). I've seen people say the clutch only lasted 15,000 miles (more commonly it was 30,000) so I think you've got the small clutch.

It annoyed the hell out of me when my clutch went at 60,000 miles, but it seems to be the case these days with modern cars as clutches aren't made with asbestos anymore. However you have driven it around town so that puts a lot of wear in to the clutch. Maybe you hold the clutch open for long periods while stationary at traffic lights?

What sort of warranty did you get with the clutch? I got 12 months or 20,000 miles on my replacement and - touch wood - it hasn't failed and it's been well over 2 years since I had it changed. Some places offer 2 years, others 3 years, if thats the case you might be able to get it sorted on the warranty.

Hi Mickburkesnr.... I was told that I got the Yaris clutch for my 2nd replacement (I do hope that is the case!!) I was given a 3 year warranty on it, but they are telling me that its wear and tear (which I am not having to be honest).

I ride the clutch as much as the next person, I try not to sit on it at the lights as well (as I know how crap they are).

I think I will go back to the garage and find out what clutch was put in, making sure it was the Yaris one.

If it's the Yaris one then it should've lasted longer than that. Plus why give a 3 year warranty on it if it's going to experience wear and tear? Were you supposed to just put it on the driveway for 2 years 11 months, drive it a mile and then find a problem?

I wouldn't stand for it, I don't think you will stand for it either. You'd expect something like that to last a lot longer than what it has done, and to be honest I don't even think you could ruin a Yaris clutch in one of these cars in 15,000 miles. 

Most warranties, including new car warranties, provide cover for manufacturing faults, and certain items (commonly clutches, brake discs, etc) will be deemed to be subject to wear and tear, and thus carry a limited warranty.

For example in their new car warranty, VW treat the following as wear and tear items and provide warranty coverage of six months/6,500 miles: brake linings; disc pads; clutch release bearings; clutch pressure plates and centre plates; tyres; Wiper Blades (wiper rubbers have no warranty); seat and backrest covers; floor coverings; shock absorbers; etc.

The larger clutch from the Yaris (190mm in place of 180mm) was used from 2009, to counter issues of premature clutch wear.

I would imagine a garage will only be able to determine whether the problem with the current clutch is either a manufacturing defect or wear and tear, when they remove the clutch for examination/replacement.

Hi l think this is my first post here, however l've been around a while now. Driving style does play a part in our clutch usage, having yours go again in such a short time is unusual, it might just be in need of adjustment. Does it make any noises? Grating sounds etc. Don't go in with full guns loaded until you get the facts, might pay dividends in the long run.

but then don't let them take The Michael.

Hi Kenny... It judders / slips when pulling off in first gear (the exactly the same issue with my first clutch).

22 hours ago, inertia said:

I ride the clutch as much as the next person, I try not to sit on it at the lights as well

the above is an extract from your post.

i certainly Wouldn't say any of the above as they will twist it and say you ride the clutch

if they ask questions just say once the gear change has been done your off the clutch

and you always put the car in neutral whilst waiting at traffic lights, otherwise the dealer

will imply your at fault as your statement can be interpretated to mean the opposite .

it maybe the clutch lining on the new clutch plate wasn't as thick as it should of been and this

maybe why it has failed early.,ask if the clutch lining had been measured to make sure the

thickness is in spec i doubt they would of measured it,then you could argue the lining thickness

was undersize and out of spec.

No one can say what the cause of the failure definatively is until the gearbox is removed, if the removal shows a manufacturing defect then the fault will be covered under warranty if the cause is wear to the friction plate then it is exactly that, wear and will not be covered under warranty, there can only really be two causes of wear

1. The driver and the manner the car is driven

2. Poor adjustment, the Aygo service schedule specifies check & adjust at every service, has this been done?

• 2 weeks later...

did you have bigger upgraded clutch fitted..also clutch pedal free play plays a big part its gotta be adjusted at service to prolong life of clutch,

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My aygo has over 69,000 miles on the the clock and its on the original clutch still going strong. Its the 190mm one 

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, denby87 said:

did you have bigger upgraded clutch fitted..also clutch pedal free play plays a big part its gotta be adjusted at service to prolong life of clutch,

How do you go about adjusting the clutch (or is it the pedal). I've recently bought a 2007 aygo and the seller had just got the larger clutch fitted by a garage before i bought it. I'm finding the biting point really tricky and also when i'm changing down to 2nd it judders like mad as it can't settle into gear.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to reply so lately but I was reading this post.

In France, the first clutches that failed were replaced by the very same clutch discs, similar in thickness. That means the problem was bound to reappear within miles. It was only years later that they replaced the clutch with a different one. In the meantime, they lost many customers.

The stronger clutch was fitted from 2009 - and this was the larger diameter clutch from the Yaris.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 Aygo, it needed a replacement clutch earlier this year at approx 72,000 miles. The mechanic said that was very good for an Aygo.

• Like 1

My first Aygo 2009 had the original clutch till 100k, but that was a LOT of hyway miles.