Do Not Sell My Personal Information

intermittent loss of power

webdeb

My 2002 rav 4 runs like a dream some days, then other days you can start her up and struggle to get up a gentle incline, won't go over 20 mph. It's fully serviced and we can't find any pattern to the problem, its has been on diagnostics and found nothing. Any others had this problem?

Hello Debbie - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Petrol or diesel and which engine?

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Debbie - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Petrol or diesel and which engine?

2l diesel

Thank you, it is a 2l diesel, have tried different garages and not using supermarket fuel but it does't make any difference

checked EGR & SCV?

Had a similar problem car went into limp home mode - no power. I changed the SCV & Air flow meter spent about £500, did not solve the problem. Then when accelerating gently uphill went to change from 3 rd to 4th but misjudged it and dropped it into 2nd, as I did it I looked in my rear view mirror and it was like looking out at night - black clouds. This cleared immediately and since that mistake no power problems, the diesels need a good 'thrashing' in lower gears to clear carbon. Try it, it's a cheap fix.

Thank you for your replies. Hubby tried the thrashing but it went straight back to limp mode, no power, don't know what SCV is but it sounds as though it could be EGR valve. Are these difficult to clean or costly to replace?

Clean the egr with egr cleaner   this as been covered a lot have a look on other pages 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 7:48 PM, webdeb said:

Thank you for your replies. Hubby tried the thrashing but it went straight back to limp mode, no power, don't know what SCV is but it sounds as though it could be EGR valve. Are these difficult to clean or costly to replace?

Run some of this stuff through it. It's a pretty simple procedure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwynns+egr3+diesel

• 2 weeks later...

I get this with mine (Diesel) we live on a small Greek island & when its been poodling about for a few months here it does it on acceleration, I've learnt how to ease off when it starts to happen now & it avoids EML coming on & into limp mode, I just take it for a good blast when its gets bad & it sorts it out. What u do need to do though is build up the thrashing & when you feel it hesitating sightly (just before it goes into limp mode) back off the throttle a little then ease back up to Thrashing mode!! Works for me every time 

• 1 month later...

Scv valves changed at a cost of £260, egr cleaned, Bottle of Forte cleaner added to quarter tank of diesel, pedal to metal, still very sluggish when pulling out of a junction which is scary! On a good run it splutters and kicks in, then have to slow down and back to square one!

hi have a look at these two valves clean with gt85  NOT WD40  squirt in side blow out with air line  .  

photoEPTI4A2V.JPG

Debbie,

I very recently spoke to a man who had an intermittant loss of power problem with his diesel van, Not a Toyota tho. But it was definitely an injector fault. Replaced same, and problem was 100% totally cured. I am not saying this is the answer but it's worth asking a professional's opinion. By the sounds of it ur motor is now lossing power all the time - So might not be same solution. Run that by ur mechanic - ie injector problem and checking same. I think injectors can be tested to find if they are faulty.