Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supermarket or branded fuel ?

Kitkat-HK

Hi everyone 

I just wonder what sort of fuels is best for Toyota verso ? 

I got the 1.6 D Verso , should I use supermarket or the branded diesel ? Such as Shell , Bp etc. 

I heard lots of people said that branded fuel r better for the engine . 

Many idea will help 

thanks 

I've tried Shell V-Power diesel (& also Total Excellium) over several fill-ups ... and found that I get lower mpg than with V-Power than when using supermarket fuel!

I suspect that the only significant difference relates to the frequency with which the tanks are refilled - fuel from a busy supermarket fuel station is probably fresher and better than that from a less-used branded site.

Thanks for the replied . 

Recently I am trying the normal diesel from Shell and for the full tank I only managed to get around 400 miles . 

Shouldn't it get higher miles for 1.6 d ? Or is it to do with the fuel ? 

The cost of diesels from branded stations shot up to around £1.29 around my local area!! 

Compared to the supermarkets around at £1.15 is a big difference in price. Which make me tempted to go n try it . 

Thanks 

11 hours ago, Fisherofmen said:

I've tried Shell V-Power diesel (& also Total Excellium) over several fill-ups ... and found that I get lower mpg than with V-Power than when using supermarket fuel!

I suspect that the only significant difference relates to the frequency with which the tanks are refilled - fuel from a busy supermarket fuel station is probably fresher and better than that from a less-used branded site.

There wasn't a 1.6 diesel Verso in 2007 so something in your profile is wrong. How much diesel did it take to fill your tank after 400 miles (it probably won't have been empty). Colder weather & the type of journey that you make both have an effect on your fuel economy. You shouldn't expect to achieve the EU test result mpg as those are achieved in a lab & don't represent real world conditions.

£1.29 for branded sounds like premium (where I live normal branded diesel is ~120p/l & premium is ~9p more). I use premium diesel (usually Shell V-power) for the long term benefits of it keeping the engine cleaner & treat any increased power/mileage as a bonus. Some of it may be a placebo effect but I am happy. The base fuel for all probably comes from the same refinery/refineries but what differs is the additive package.

Hi  heidfirst 

sorry i didn't updated my profile , just before Xmas 2016 I brought the 1.6 d . 

I actually filled the diesel right to the edge until no more fuel can be filled. I checked on the handbook which said 55litres. 

Sorry, my mistake on my previous posted. I meant 1.21 for branded diesels and supermarkets diesels are 1.13 . 

Which to me sound a big difference when both are normal diesels! 

I normally drive half on motorway and half on city drive when covering that 400 miles. 

With thanks 

As Scott has posted above, fuel economy is significantly lower in cold weather, and on short runs. You also need to remember that your tank will still have approx 9 litres of fuel when the fuel gauge shows that it is low (in common with most if not all modern vehicles ... why can't the manufacturers give us the respect of knowing how many litres are actually remaining and giving us the choice of when to refuel?), so if you are running from a brimmed tank to the low fuel indication coming on you have probably only used 45-46 litres.

I would reckon 400 miles isn't unreasonable for mixed winter use ... and not likely to show any improvement when using branded v supermarket fuel, so I would suggest you save money and buy what is cheapest and most locally available.

Toyota themselves don't recommend the premium fuels ... and the theoretical advantage of a cleaner engine probably only comes into play if you keep your vehicle for 100,000+ miles - so far (!) I haven't run into any problems running my cars on supermarket fuel for 6 years / 60,000 miles each time.

Hi Fisherofmen 

thank you for your advice , I am very tempted to go back trying supermarket fuel coz of the branded fuel cost a lot more ! 

as you said , why can't the manufacture gave us the exact litres or better off if they tell us how many miles roughly on average a tank of fuel could do ?! 

Which supermarket fuel did u use last six years? 

Thanks 

Have usually filled up at my local supermarket (Tesco), but when travelling will fill up with diesel wherever it's cheapest  - never had a problem :-)

i will definitely try my local supermarket diesel at the price of £1.13 per litre.

i used an app called PetrolPrices to monitor which places r cheaper and find all branded fuel garage around £1.21 ! 

On my last full tank of fuel I only got two dotted lights left and only done 270miles with the car computer saying I only got 70miles left till empty ! 

Thats only 340 miles and maybe as you says it's the cold weather problem too ? 

Less then my previous 400miles on full tank . 

With thanks 

25 minutes ago, Kitkat-HK said:

On my last full tank of fuel I only got two dotted lights left and only done 270miles with the car computer saying I only got 70miles left till empty ! 

As Ian said that 70 miles on the computer isn't to empty - its to a reserve.

The car manufacturers are conservative because especially in a diesel you don't want to run it dry - it's a major pain to get one running again after having run dry.

When you mentioned it's a major pain to get it running again , I remember my dad told me that Diesel's Car won't able to start easily when Fuel run out !!! Not like petrol car just fill with petrol and fire up! Is that what you meant there?

i never drove a diesel car before and this is my first one and every time I go filling up I got to keep telling myself ' it's diesels ' it's diesels ' and make sure I got the right pump . Coz I been driver more then 20 years and always go for green pump : )

i am going to fill my car up with supermarket fuel next few days and will see if any miles difference and will post here . 

Thank you guys for advices 

8 hours ago, Kitkat-HK said:

When you mentioned it's a major pain to get it running again , I remember my dad told me that Diesel's Car won't able to start easily when Fuel run out !!! Not like petrol car just fill with petrol and fire up! Is that what you meant there?

yes

There's a diaphram on diesel engines that you need to pump until it's hard, then try and start the car. Where the diaphram is varies, I think some vans had them under the drivers seat. My Peugeot 3008 (worst car ever) has the diaphram on top of the engine block.

For what its worth, my Toyota runs better and longer on Shell fuel compared to others. But my Peugeot 107 runs better on BP petrol. But BP is expensive round where I am, so it gets Sainsbury's finest. Helloooooo Nectar points!

7 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

There's a diaphram on diesel engines that you need to pump until it's hard, then try and start the car. Where the diaphram is varies, I think some vans had them under the drivers seat. My Peugeot 3008 (worst car ever) has the diaphram on top of the engine block.

For what its worth, my Toyota runs better and longer on Shell fuel compared to others. But my Peugeot 107 runs better on BP petrol. But BP is expensive round where I am, so it gets Sainsbury's finest. Helloooooo Nectar points!

Hi Mickburkesnr,

what is diaphragm look like and u know where's about is it on Verso ? 

From the last full of tank I used Shell's diesels which cost around 6p more then supermarket fuel per litre. But recently the branded's fuel went up like hell ! 

Do you know if Sainsbury's use the same fuel as BP ? I think I seen someone saying it on the internet ! 

When comparing Sainsburys to BP's diesels it's around 9p More expensive on BP ! 

I just notice that BP doing something called swipe n win promotion which maybe able to win from 25 to 100k nectar points when making a purchase! Sound good lol 

anyway , with thanks 

46 minutes ago, Kitkat-HK said:

what is diaphragm look like and u know where's about is it on Verso ? 

It should be mentioned in your owner's manual. Simple solution is not to run out of fuel!:tongue:

I've never come across such a diaphragm on any of my Versos, and there is no mention on one in the owner's manual (No, I didn't read every page to check - I used the search function on the electronic version).

But ... I've never run out of diesel - always too intimidated by the "low fuel" indicator!

I've absolutely no idea what it looks like on a Verso, I've never had to do it on a Diesel. It's usually like a rubber egg shaped thing. But as Heidfirst said the process should be in the owners manual.

But yeah, never run out of fuel.

Just popped to my local Sainsbury's garage and filled up my tank with diesel cost £1.13 per Litre. Went passed my local BP costing £1.21 per Litre!!! 

Look like I save a lot when filling a whole tank of fuel up ! 

When the fuel came from the same depot and cost that lot difference, I am glad to save a lot on it ! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links