Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres "Skipping".

Donsky

Nothing like a company admitting they intentionally designed a system that renders the Satnav useless during daylight hours if you want your headlights on. The lackluster response from the head office and the inability to find a solution make you wonder if they've ever actually driven one of their own cars.

Huh, that's funny, I thought they'd fixed that!

The tyres skipping at full lock was a classic 'feature' of the Mk1 Yaris due to the steering geometry being compromised from so much being crammed in, but they fixed it in the Mk2. Did it come back in the Mk3? The Mk4 doesn't seem to do it, although I haven't been to the 'squealy carpark', where I used to test these things - It has this smooth tarmac, and the Mk1 would make hilarious tyre-squealing noises like I was drifting it round the carpark at anything past half-way to full lock :laugh: 

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

they fixed it in the Mk2. Did it come back in the Mk3? The Mk4 doesn't seem to do it,

Yes,  I have found it only does it at parking speed on broken road surfaces (loose chippings from potholes etc) where the tyres can easily lose grip  on good tarmac mine doesn't do it at all .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 2014 Yaris Hybrid seems to experience tyre skipping in winter. It never happened during Spring, Summer and Autumn. 

I experienced that for the first time, and the sound was terrifying. It sounded like something snapped badly!

My tyres are pretty new (fitted them in April 2023 - Bridgestone 195/50 R16 V (88) T005 TURANZA XL) and did a full wheel rotation at 6000 miles after fitting them.

My work colleague is experiencing the same thing with his Audi, which only seems to happen during cold weather. 

2 hours ago, inteli7 said:

My 2014 Yaris Hybrid seems to experience tyre skipping in winter. It never happened during Spring, Summer and Autumn. 

When i pulled out of my tight parking space in the snow i could hear and feel a  bump, bump, bump as the tyre skipped and gripped i would have been nervous about driving on had i not already read the thread. 

This has been discussed before and I suggested it was due to the 'modified Ackerman' steering geometry.

It surprised me when I first experienced it on my MK3.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links