Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 Petrol Semi Automatic model with MMT gear box - Clutch Slip & Loss of power

Venkatesh V

Hi All,

I own a 2007 Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 Petrol Semi Automatic model with MMT gear box. For the past 3 months, I am experiencing loss of power wherein the RPM on the dashboard doesn't seem to match the speed of the car. I feel that engine is revving a lot when I accelerate after braking or when i initially start moving off. Also in automatic mode, at times, the gear gets stuck on 3 and refuses to change inspite of driving at 30 mph. If I switch to manual mode, the driving experience is smooth. I took it to my local garage and after a driving test, they suspect that the clutch needs to be replaced. However, they say that only Toyota can replace it as it requires programming the clutch to the gear. Toyota has asked me to bring it in for diagnosis initially which will cost 140 GBP. Reading the cost people have mentioned in the forums, I expect another 700 - 1000 GBP charge for fixing the issue (provided its the clutch. I dont know if Toyota will find more issues in their daignosis!)

I have looked at sites such as clickmechanic.com, sinspeed.com and my local garage gave me 2 other transmission mechanic contacts. clickmechanic quote seems to be in the range of 350 GBP for clutch replacement. However, I am not sure if they would fix the problem correctly given that my garage says that only toyota can fix this. Is this true? Has anyone been successful using clickmechanic or any other local contacts to get such a problem fixed?

I live in Harrow, London. Appreciate if anyone who has experienced similar issue in the post can guide me how to go about fixing this.

PS: I read in this forum that the car stops suddenly and gear changes to neutral. Luckily I dont have that issue which makes me believe that its my clutch as opposed to actuator or gear box. I could be wrong though!

Thanks!

Regards

Venki

The problem here lies with the electronically controlled clutch, either in the electronics or the physical element.

Toyota will be able to ascertain the exact problem when connecting it to their diagnostic computer. This is the route I would recommend and, following the diagnostics, you could always get it repaired elsewhere.

Thanks Paul. I had diagnostics done by Toyota today. They say that clutch is slipping but would like to replace the actuator as well. Quotation is 2000 GBP! I am calling few transmissions garages but the only caveat everyone is making is that they may not be able to programme the car and would need to take it to Toyota for programming.

Can someone recommend a reliable contact to get this sort of work done?

With something like this I would go to Toyota.

There is a thread on an Asian site about Toyota gearboxes, how to refill with oil and programme the vehicle. Can't remember site though - sorry!

• 4 years later...

I use a Corolla verso 2008 keyless engine. The gear moves to neutral while driving and display same on dashboard. Kindly help if you've had similar experience