Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 help

Johnread1978

Hi every body, this is the first forum I have ever been on, so sorry for any mistakes. I have owned my rav4 for 18 months and is primarily my wife's car for her and my 2 boys. It has recently started slowing down with no response from the accelerator at all, but only when it reaches 60-70mph, this happened to my wife on the motorway with the boys and scared her.the car is a manual, 86000 miles 2.0 ltr d4d.  I took the car out and discovered it does it nearly every time it reaches these speeds. I have no knowledge of cars (only basic) and would really appreciate some feed back, as to stop a garage from pulling the wool over my eyes when i take it for assessment. Thanks again for any help of knowledge. 

John Read 😀

Hello John - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

See you've already posted your issue in the Rav4 club, so hopefully members will respond. 

• Like 1

Hi Johnread. This might be a bit of a long shot but it might apply to you as the exact same thing happened to me years ago.. At the time i had a Vauxhall Astra and for no reason out of the blue the car would start up with no problem and drive up to 50-60 mph nice & smooth but beyond the speed it would hold back then the engine would sort of cut out when it stopped at the side of the road I could just restart with no problem.I spent a lot of time head scratching & searching around & changing different parts but still no joy.. Quite a while past until i found the fault. I thought the fault must be fuel starvation so I started to check all the fuel lines. First thing i did was to fit a short piece of clear plastic pipe from the carburetor to the next clip. Then started the Engine and held the rev's at half speed and watch the clear pipe after about 2 or 3 minutes small bubbles Started to appear. So next i got under the car and found that the feed pipe from the fuel tank had slipped from the inner pipe so i just slipped it back in place only about 5 mm. Then went for a drive High rev's in all gears With no Problem and it never happened again. When i thought back to when it started that night there was a lot of Snow and Ice on the road so i think a chunk of ice must have hit the pipe and dislodged the pipe. So the fuel pump must have been sucking in some a mount of air ..Let's Hope this is you Problem...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links