Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T sport sunroof rattle

IQ Old git

Hi Guys. Can anyone help. My 'new' T sport has an annoying rattle which I have by chance discovered is coming from the sunroof winder. If you just put your hand on the winder handle the rattle stops. I have tried spraying around the edge, through the rubber bung,and under the headlining, and tried cardboard wedges, all to no avail, but at the mo cannot remove the single screw that holds it together. If I manage to get the screw out, will the whole thing drop to bits never to go back ? and will I be able to find whats causing the rattle. It is rather spoiling my enjoyment of the car (along with the cr-p gearchange which despite changing the gearbox oil and lubing all the linkage is still no better.)  Its even worse than my previous 2 t sports, and my abysmal Iq3. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Ps the car (5dr) has only done 55k miles.Cheers  Colin

Disappointed that nobody has a solution to my rattle problem. Have managed to almost remove the screw (just needs wrestling with a mole wrench) but unwilling to completely remove it until I have visited Mr T for a replacement screw, (if available) and hopefully new parts/washers ? to stop rattle. In the meantime would still like to hear from someone who has had/done this seemingly minor job. Ps, have looked in vain for pics of offending part inc cdx forums/ online manuals to no avail.  Cheers Colin. (clattery Tsport)

So anyway. Got the new screw from Mr T. (Im impressed, an obscure part available in just 2 days) managed to get the old one out. Dismantled everything (nothing obviously loose) greased it all with vaseline. Drove round the block with the winder off (not a rattle in sight) Put it all back together, Low and behold. Rattle just as bad as ever. Grrrr. Next step is to cut some rings of thin foam and try to layer between the winder and its housing. If that dos'nt work its earplugs and queens we are the champions at max volume. At least the weather is conducive to 'playing' cars.  Cheers Colin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Ha, so I cut and inserted a piece of foam (parcel wrap) (a) under top housing and (b) between winder and top housing and yippee, rattle gone, until I raised roof then it was back worse than ever. But oddly not with roof slid back or closed. Mmmm. Ok so next step is another layer of foam, theres plenty of room, and make sure its a tighter fit in the recess. I will silence the goddam thing even if I have to weld my beloved sunroof shut. At least I'm enjoying every mile in the car, It's bought back my driving mojo which had sadly vanished in my Iq.  Just now need to work out why my fuelly reading is still showing Iq results instead of Tsport (45.6 at mo) Cheers Colin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, at long last rattle gone/fixed. My latest attempt after foam circle did nothing was to cut a 'baby sponge' in half and 'ram' (with the help of a screwdriver) between the metal tubes either side of the winding mechanism and the roof panel, and fab. rattle gone. I'm loving every minute behind the wheel. Gearchange & consumption slowly improving. Last (brimmed) tank was 48.1 on fuelly, Dash computer reading 46.1. Well pleased. Forgot to say, did replace all the ageing tyres with a set of Dunlop sport blumotion thingies, the ones on there had plenty of tread but were 8yrs old.  Driveshaft has started minor tapping (r.h. lock only) but having had 2 previous t sports with same issues I know Ive got about 2 years before they get bad enough to need replacing (with Rt of birminghams excellent £39 jobbies). Other than some minor paint scuffs that will need attention everything in Tsport land is rosy. Loving it.  Cheers  Colin