Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to tell if a car is ex-rental?

GreenFuse

I'm looking at picking up a 2015 Auris tourer in the UK to bring into Ireland as the spec and mileage is much better for the same money, probably a 2015 with something less than 30k miles.

I've read there are quite a few ex-rentals on the market, how would I spot this before buying? If I check a car's history online will it show me who owned it?

Also, I see that some people in Ireland use Dekra to inspect a car before making a UK purchase, has anyone any experience with them or know if they are reliable?

Thanks for your help!

It won't have much online history if it's two years old. Might be worth checking the paper service records, though, if there are any. They may give a clue as to whether the services have been done in-house or by a Toyota dealer. But heck, either way it's got a five year warranty, hasn't it?

I bought my Auris 1.6 VVT petrol @ 18 months and 30,000 miles. I knew it was a high miler, which was why it was half the price of when it was new. The main thing I wanted to see was that the interior didn't show the usual signs of having been treated like a hire car. (It didn't - only the driver seat had ever been sat in, as far as I could tell.) Boot was also immaculate.

If I'd been a bit more paranoid, I'd have bought an ultra violet torch, about £3 on eBay, which would have shown up every little patch and repair on the paintwork. A few of those are normal on an ex-lease car, but too many are too many, and any resprayed panels are a no-no.

Stone chips likewise. Owner's manual should be in the glovebox, not lost like with so many ex-hire cars. The rest is up to your intuition.

6 minutes ago, Falconmick said:

Just ask to see the V5 and who car is/was registered to.

Not always a reliable guide. I once viewed a one-owner Focus that had been used as a car pool car and also lent out to all and sundry. In that case the floppy gear lever and the tatty interior were a dead giveaway. And it was only two years old. :huh:

• Like 1

Personally, I would buy purely on condition and service history. I have owned a number of ex-rental and ex-pool cars which have been absolutely fine. However I would have immediately rejected any that had damaged trim, damaged bodywork, services missed, faults etc.

My Auris however, is a genuine 'one previous elderly private owner from new' car and is covered in little parking knocks and scratches, worse than any of the rental cars I've owned. My fault for buying a car in the rain! 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm contacting the dealers now looking for a decent deal.

It seems the 5 year warranty won't transfer to Ireland, since the extra 2 years on top of the standard 3 are offered by the UK dealers and not Toyota themselves, which is a pity. 

The 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty is offered for UK customers by the sales organisation, Toyota GB, not the UK dealers. 

Otherwise the general Toyota new car warranty (3 years/100,000km) applies.

Of course the UK covers Northern Ireland .......

• 3 years later...
On 1/9/2017 at 12:30 PM, Falconmick said:

Just ask to see the V5 and who car is/was registered to.

Current V5's don't show previous owner details any more due to GDPR.

If the car doesn’t have any car mats or rear parcel shelf  very likely has been a rental vehicle, rental companies never had to keep those two items as they got stolen on the first drive. Many things usually scream rental or ex taxi but you have to look and yes if raining avoid buying it, paintwork should be clean and dry. Or if you buy from Car Giant London almost certain it’s a rental car. 

Good luck

ask to see the service book and make a note of the dealership that has serviced the vehicle

and ask them if the car is from a rental company

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links