Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear problem

Wendy72

My rav4 keeps slipping out of 5th gear there is a oil can with squiggly line underneath flashing intermittently on the instrument panel but I cannot find what the symbol is

I believe slipping out of 5th is a common problem on your year of RAV4 - the cure is apparently to replace the 5th gear components in the gearbox :sad: 

The oilcan is an instruction to stop and check the oil level in the engine.  The oilcan with squiggle is an instruction to add engine oil without delay.  Do it before you drive again.  5W30 for the diesel and the 1.8 petrol; 10W30 for the 2.0 petrol.

2 hours ago, Wendy72 said:

My rav4 keeps slipping out of 5th gear there is a oil can with squiggly line underneath flashing intermittently on the instrument panel but I cannot find what the symbol is

Hi Wendy yes I'm afraid the 5th gear is a common fault, you need to replace the fifth gear assembly to cure it. Parts are around £200-£300 and any decent mechanic can do that, you don,t even have to remove the gearbox it can be done from passenger side wheel arch, start to finish less than three hours. There,s a great step by step guide on how to do it, once done should be trouble free I done mine 50k miles ago and still good.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/64188-5th-gear-popping-out-self-repair.html

Thank you can this part only be bought through Toyota dealership 

6 hours ago, Wendy72 said:

you need to fit genuine Toyota parts and the Toyota dealer should be able to supply you with correct part numbers, I got all my parts direct from Japan from a company called Amayama , genuine Toyota and half price from local Toyota dealer but had to wait for them to arrive, there are companies on eBay now listing 5th gear kits , genuine parts for a good price, if you speak to your local Toyota garage and see what they come up with.

You need to find out exactly what parts you need for your RAV4 so ask the dealer what you need and have a look on eBay for example  item number  262633359284  as there are different number of teeth on some gears for different Ravs , then get genuine Toyota parts, they have gone down in price since I done mine , cheaper on eBay now than what I paid .

3 hours ago, IanML said:

I believe slipping out of 5th is a common problem on your year of RAV4 - the cure is apparently to replace the 5th gear components in the gearbox :sad: 

The oilcan is an instruction to stop and check the oil level in the engine.  The oilcan with squiggle is an instruction to add engine oil without delay.  Do it before you drive again.  5W30 for the diesel and the 1.8 petrol; 10W30 for the 2.0 petrol.

Thank you 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links