Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ticking Noise from Engine Bay

topgazza

This is a tough one to answer on a forum I know.

But when running the engine on my wife's Yaris 1.3 2005 there is a ticking noise from the area of the belt on the left of the engine. The belt is in good condition so its nothing like that. Anyone else had this as it could be a bearing but it sounds like a very light ticking sound. Could it be the timing chain ?

I will get it investigated but as I say everything is running solid in their so if anyone has any clues that would be great

Most likely to be the timing chain. (If so, you would notice it more when starting the engine from cold- before the oil pressure builds up .

But it could also be: belt tensioner bearing, alternator bearing, 

• Like 1

Thanks. It's definitely in that area and yes I noticed it from cold as I was topping up the washer bottle. It did stop for a couple of seconds but carried on its rhythmic faint ticking. Hard to tie the nose down to any one element

When was it last serviced with an oil and filter change?

That might make a difference.

If it's only very light ticking and the timing chain, it's not really an issue. Just slight wear. BUT running it without oil changes or infrequent ones will exacerbate the issue. Chains are VERY sensitive to oil quality.. and expensive  (C£500) to replace..

Very, very light ticking. Its only because the 1.3 V-VTi is such a sweet engine that I noticed it for the first time. Major service with quality oil was carried out in June 2016 at a quality Indy garage. Cars only done 3-4k since then.

I check the oil once a week and it never moves....

For me and my wife its the nicest shape they did on the Yaris and apart from not being as "smart" as modern cars internally  it drives, handles so well. If they kept the shape and updated the interior AND kept the brilliant digital display we would have replaced it earlier with the same.

I've usually found under bonnet 'ticking' sounds are blowing exhausts.