Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark Plugs!

Ryan1985

Do uprated spark plugs from NGK etc actually give u better fuel consumption? Its worth thinkin about gettin them if it does in this day and age!

Any help greatly recieved, Cheers :thumbsup:

What difference do they make? I see on fensport they offer ones with different heat ranges? :wacko:

Ive noticed better responce

The heat range of a plug denotes what heat that plug can take without the tip dropping off, some engines run hotter than others, the new lean burn motors put a lot of stress on a plug, which is why they should be replaced regularly.

Worn plugs can slow down the burn front which will make the engine run slightly slower but unless you have a super hypo motor I would avoid changing stuff like plug specs because if one breaks up due to an incorrect fitment you'll only have yourself to blame. Years ago NGK bought out a range called Gold Palladium I seem to remember they claimed improved performance, this may have been due the bit that the spark jumps too having a u channel which had the effect of causing two sparks, which supposedly made more power, but how much a £5 plug improved power over a £1.25 no one ever saw fit to prove.

Personally I say keep your plugs good, replace them at the prescribed periods, keep the gap within specs and save your money :yes:

If you are running a turbo and upping the boost .. uprated plugs are needed for the extra heat/pressures ..

In a 1.3 engine I doubt they'd make a differance ..

i noticed bit better responce and a few more miles than usual out of a tank of petrol

since i put in a set of Iridium denso ik20 plugs in my celica 44.65 inc delivery would not go back to standard plugs. for plugs

wasnt talkin about my current car, its still new

If you are running a turbo and upping the boost .. uprated plugs are needed for the extra heat/pressures ..

In a 1.3 engine I doubt they'd make a differance ..

Yes you will need hotter plugs to be sure and then you'll have to consider the ignition system, under increased boost the spark needs extra energy to help punch its way through the dense gas.

You actually want to go a grade "colder" for uped boost ..

The temps are higher, but the grade is colder (I don't understand why either)

Would it be worth buying a NGK set for my car?

Would it improve fuel consumption etc? :blink:

youd probably better off with genuine toyota plugs mate. Fuel consumption/performance/response will be greatly improved only if your current sparks and ignition system are worn badly (means fuel isnt being burnt and is just wasted)

might be worth checking the rest of the iginition system while youre at it, spark leads, distributor cap and rotor!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links