Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D4D blowing cold air at idle

nicebutdim

I've noticed over the last day or so that my Corolla isn't blowing any warm air from the vents when idling.

It does start to blow warm when driving however it does drop off sometimes.

I had a 60k cambelt change done at the weekend but the water pump wasn't changed (belts only). My mechanic advised only to change the pump if it was leaking and I trust him on that.

Opening the bleed screw had a small effect but I believe it to be an airlock of which I will try the burping method described below

Any ideas or questions please come forward.

Just an update, I topped up the system and burped. It did need about half a litre of coolant so maybe it could have been that.

A few days have passed and seems ok still so hopefully.

Hi,

So the cold heater issue returned and checking the coolant level and it had dropped (took 300ml to bring back to level using a pink 50/50 mix)

I noticed that the overflow pipe was wet and appeared to have dribbled down the radiator housing.

I've swapped the coolant tank cap for my Dads (Avensis 2.0) to see if that is causing the coolant loss, it fits and matches the 108Kpa rating .

Just checked now and after 30 miles driving the cold level is the same and no wetness around the over flow pipe.

Am I right in thinking the 1CD engine isn't as bad as the 2AD, 1AD engine for blowing head gaskets?

The saga continues!

Starting the engine from cold with the rad cap off will give an indication of a faulty head gasket as the liquid will rise out of the rad at once.It should only be done when it is cold as if not there is a very good chance of being sprayed with very hot water if it is indeed faulty