Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disc & Pad Life

Ben565

Just changed the discs and pads on my 2012 Aygo at... 38k and I suspect they may be the original set ! which is remarkable seeing as I've read a lot of posts complaining they only last 20k.

They weren't new when I bought the car a year ago (18k) so at worst I've got 20k out of them, but likely more than that. When I took the pads off they had 12/03/2012 date stamped on the back. Could indicate they were the originals (or old stock) 

My friends sometimes call me last of the late braker's so I don't exactly go easy on them, although I do 50miles round trip to work every day mostly on the motorway. So for me at least I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting out of them. 

You've done well to make them last that mileage .......I'm the other extreme ..low mile user discs replaced at 16k due to corrosion on inner edges, 10years old and only done 18500 miles :smile:

I wear mine out every 15k miles .....  it's had more discs and pads than it has had tyres, just.

Probably all the motorway miles racking up rather than stop start town driving made them last a bit longer. It gets a good 50miles run every day.  There was plenty life left in the pads still, but the discs needed changing. The inboard side of the disc was worse on mine too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have got 59000 out of mine had them changed at my last service 4/7/16

I have only done 10,000 on the new ones now and i have judder when braking. Toyota checked them last week when it was serviced again apparently it was juddering because the mechanic couldn't find any oil in the engine! 

But it is still juddering so its going back in next Saturday. Bet the disks are warped! 

I took the car to Toyota today as a appointment was available. It needed new disks & pads apparently the life of disk & pads are 15,000 to 25,000 acoroding to service manager.

Well I reckoned at worst I got 20,000 out of them. So maybe consistent with a life of 15-25,000. Although potentially I got 38,000 out of them. Interesting you are experiencing some judder, I replaced mine with Brembo ones from ECP and they are juddering already, not badly, but noticable. Juddering can be because the discs are warped, but more often because of uneven deposits of pad material on the disc. So I'm led to believe anyway. I normally try and avoid keeping my foot on the brake after coming to a stop though.   

They originally wanted £110 from me they agreed to pay the other £110. They also wanted £60 to investigate the juddering and £15 to waive the insurance on the loan car. Considering the car went in the week before for a servce and investigation into the juddering and they couldn't find anything wrong. I was not going to pay £185. Incape toyotas website toyota parts fitted by them had minimum 12 month guarantee so after a lengthy chat with the service manager it only cost me £60 for the disks & pads, loan car and investigation. 

On 2/5/2017 at 3:26 PM, kisbell said:

I have got 59000 out of mine had them changed at my last service 4/7/16

I have only done 10,000 on the new ones now and i have judder when braking. Toyota checked them last week when it was serviced again apparently it was juddering because the mechanic couldn't find any oil in the engine! 

But it is still juddering so its going back in next Saturday. Bet the disks are warped! 

Urrrrrrh??? I had to read that quote over a few times. Did the dealer really tell you the reason your brakes were juddering, was down to lack of engine oil?

Yep they did. They didn't even take the front wheels off at the service and check the disks even when is said I had brake judder. In the end the senior technician test drove the car and he diagnosed the problem before we left the car park! 

1 minute ago, kisbell said:

Yep they did. They didn't even take the front wheels off at the service and check the disks even when is said I had brake judder. In the end the senior technician test drove the car and he diagnosed the problem before we left the car park! 

That is worrying. I think you should call Toyota HQ UK about this.

What's the motto bantered on the Toyota website, 'We love servicing your car'. Boolsheet in my eyes.

7 minutes ago, kisbell said:

2 minutes ago, fordulike said:

That is worrying. I think you should call Toyota HQ UK about this.

What's the motto bantered on the Toyota website, 'We love servicing your car'. Boolsheet in my eyes.

Toyota GB will only pass the complaint to the dealer group to answer. Your best bet would be to find out the contact details of the dealer principal for your dealer, and write to them either by e-mail or letter.

Aside from that, and looking at the service invoice, how often do you check your oil, and have you returned the car to the dealer after 500 miles to have the oil level checked??

I can't be bothered contacting them again not after I took the car in to get the wheels refurbished and it was returned with bald tyers on the car.

I checked the oil on December 20th. They checked the oil yesterday and it's fine. I will be checking the oil more often now as I'm doing 1000miles a week. I have even got 5L of 5 to 30 oil ready incase it needs a top up.

14 minutes ago, kisbell said:

I can't be bothered contacting them again not after I took the car in to get the wheels refurbished and it was returned with bald tyers on the car.

Are you saying they swopped your original tyres for ones with less than 1.6mm of tread?

Yep I put new set of continentals on a week before it went in. Came back with bald outer edge on back wheels 2mm middle. Different make as well

1 minute ago, kisbell said:

Yep I put new set of continentals on a week before it went in. Came back with bald outer edge on back wheels 2mm different make as well

If it's the same dealer you've been going to for everything, they need to be exposed for the shoddy service they're providing.

Checking the oil every two months or so isn't enough. Was it checked at any time before the last service?

As regards the wheel refurbishment, I doubt a main dealer would do this themselves - instead using a subcontractor.  The same happens with used car preparation, where bodywork damage needs sorting.

Only checked in December ops.

It was a contractor appointed by Toyota done at main dealers

Toyota wouldn't have appointed the subcontractor - it would just be the subbie used by the dealer. I would have thought that if the tyres had been swapped one would have noticed and queried it at the time.

Its all sorted now.

If had problems with vauxhall, Ford, Mercedes and Toyota they are all the same they all make mistakes. 

17 minutes ago, kisbell said:

Its all sorted now.

If had problems with vauxhall, Ford, Mercedes and Toyota they are all the same they all make mistakes. 

I wouldn't consider stealing two brand new tyres from you as a mistake, it's 100% theft. I would have been straight in there to show them my receipt for the brand new tyres.

I did ring Toyota HQ when it happened said they nicked my new tyres they rung the dealership apparently the owner of the other aygo that had the wheels refurbished the same day didn't even realise the new tyres. The dealership gave me brand new alloy wheels and some new tyers and full tank of petrol. It was a mistake witch was rectified. Toyota must hate me or think im mad keep going back.