Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help revs will not come down!

markquinton

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can suggest the problem I have with my Auris.

We have a 08 1.6 vvti SR Auris which was bought for my wife to learn to drive in. The reality is that it has been sitting on my parents drive for around 5 months with no use. We have decided to sell the car now as my wife would like something different. However today I went to collect the car from my parents and came across a problem. I thought I would take it for a little drive around the block as my father has only just charged up the Battery as it has gone dead. For the first few minutes the car created alot of smoke/vapour whilst idling which was understandable but this did settle down. However when taking the car for a drive when I changed gear the revs were rising in between gear changes which i understand is an emissions feature on the toyotas but the problem is when changing at a slightly higher speed i.e 2nd to 3rd the revs climbed all the way to between 6-7,000 rpm and would not come down again and i had to turn the ignition off. The first time i turned the ignition back on the car went back to normal revs however the second time it happened the car returned to high revs when starting up again. This problem didn't exist before the car had been sitting for a few months and before the Battery died. Could it be the car detects that the emissions are high and is way over compensating or do I have a sensor problem?

Any help greatly received as we are looking to sell the vehicle.

Thanks

Mark

The engine should not be revving that high, especially with no throttle applied! It sounds like the fly by wire system or sensors. You should get it checked by Toyota or auto electrician with suitable diagnostic equipment. They will see if the throttle faulty or has bad connection. Likewise connect at the throttle body.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2007/auris-hybrid-ukp/zre151r-dhgnkw/2_166510_039_345W/body/7801_accelerator-link

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/auris-hybrid-ukp/zre151r-dhgnkw/2_166510_039_345W/tool-engine-fuel/2211_fuel-injection-system

May be the car needs to be warmed up and driven for a while to clear moisture from the electrics.

Thanks Konrad for your suggestions. I was also thinking about warming the car up before taking it very far, as you can imagine it's a nightmare to drive to warm it up. Funny how this fault just appeared so it could suggest a moisture problem,

• Like 1

Try disconnecting the Battery for a couple of hours to reset the engine management system. You mentioned recharging a flat Battery... lots of possibilities for things to go amiss doing that if its not done correctly, i.e. making sure it is disconnected from the car before commencing charging.

Thanks. Today the Battery has been disconnected and the ecu reset. However after reconnection the accelerator was pressed a few times and on some occasions the revs did not come down..HOWEVER....if you put your foot under the throttle pedal and lift it up the revs return to normal. Therefore it seems I may be a victim of the sticky accelerator pedal and therefore i assume my car was never returned to Toyota for the recall. I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow to find out, I just hope the recall doesn't have an expiry date!

• Like 1

That sounds promising. Can't see there being an expiry date for a safety issue... hope it gets sorted :)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links