Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Halfords oil - on offer

Jezclax

On Halfords website this is listed as suitable for my Auris (1.6 valvematic, 1ZR-FAE) 

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-ford-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-4l

At 12 quid (plus owners club discount)  I'm tempted to pick it up for topping up purpose although my Auris seems to use next to no oil the amount I drive it.

Now oil doesn't "go off" does it so I can keep this for a while for this purpose. 

Is it really suitable? It meets the "API SL" spec listed in the owner's manual. I know Toyota prefer a different gradebut most of my miles are long distance on weekends rather than stop start driving and this is only for topping up between Toyota services. 

Is this a bad idea?

Jez

I know they have petronas on offer ATM as well as I had to go and get some and Halfords was closest with it. I think all the oil is on offer 

The Halfords oil, AFAIK, is made by Comma. They're not a bad brand I don't think. However, I thought oil did go off?

I asked a Halfords assistant about their own-brand oil the other week, he confirmed Comma was the supplier, so you're spot on mickburkesnr!

Comma were independent, then more recently were owned by Esso, now they're owned by Exxon Mobil.

As far as I can remember, the oil 'use by' date thing seems to have come about in the last 10 years or so, which is odd as engine oils have never been so good at resisting thermal ageing, degradation, etc. as they are now.

It was an assumption by me that sat in a cool dark place oil would pretty much be OK, even if I'd opened it. 

If it does degrade just sat there then I'll probably leave it. 

Jez

The oil you link to is an acceptable grade, but it is not the preferred option which for your car is 0w20

• Like 1

Would have thought that the oil manufacturer would include a use by date on the oil container if the oil had a shelf life.

I have a litre bottle of Toyota 0W-20 (bought to top up my Toyota) and a litre bottle of Shell Edge 0W-30 (bought to top up our Hyundai). Had the 0W-20 since 2009 and the 0W-30 since 2012.

The Toyota oil has a 'made date' (10.08.2009) and no 'use by' date. The Shell oil has neither. Both have never been opened, despite having two Auris, one Aygo, and two i20's.

Not too long ago, when our cars were serviced by the franchised dealer, we often used to be supplied with a litre of oil for topping up. We used to end up with a bit of a collection. Doesn't happen now.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links