Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuse Box and Camera

cviclark

PRIUSGEN4.xlsFor those fitting an Dashcam to a new Gen 4 Prius I hope this is of use.  My Lukas Duo was fitted in my Auris and the installation is detailed elsewhere on the club forums.  I have started the installation and will do a full write up when completed but for those in a hurry the first hurdle is hard wiring to the car.  The best way to do this is with ADD a Circuit fuse taps.  Note! Toyota now fit low profile fuses which look a lot smaller than normal mini fuses, they are however the same pitch so can be used instead of low profile Just you wont get the cover back.

The fuses are not shown in the book and the fuse box is under the glove box, well hidden and a absolute sod to get to and see. The first job is to find where to connect the camera, if it is a good one it will need 12v Perm and 12v Ignition ON and of course an earth. It will also have a Battery safe cut off either built in (like Lucas or as add on like Blackview). Most insurance companies will not accept cameras that can be removed (Suction cup and Cig lighter).  The fuse positions are marked on the cover but are a waste of time as unless you have exceptional eyesight and good light they are unreadable.  PiuisGen4.xls attached is they layout and fuses in a readable form I have numbered the rows and included the rate but cannot help with all the functions.  On mine there are five blanks (unfilled fuses) and I will use two of these rather than remove existing fuses.  See pic of fuse box without the cover

L/H 11 is 12v Perm and R/H 12 is 12v ignition on.  Earth goes to the nearest bolt.  The camera need very little current so you can use low rated fuses. 

I will upload more when I finish but weather has forced a break.

PRIUSGEN4.xls

20170118_134506.jpg

P1020131.JPG

P1020132.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Ian,

Thanks for this. I'm also considering putting front & rear cameras in my Prius Excel but will pay a reliable company to install them. The information you are providing will be invaluable because whoever does the job, I want to know how it's been hard wired in. Any further information would be appreciated. Whereabout are you fitting the front camera since as you know if you position it wrongly you'd be breaking the law? I would also appreciate your thoughts on the best cameras front & rear, to fit?

I will do a full post when I finish.  I do not trust Camera installers as most use Quick cons to splice into the wires. Many go to the roof light which is fine if you do not want to have a permanent feed.  The passengers side high in the corner behind the mirror is the only place on the Gen 4 or the fish-eye sees the radar surround.

Do not use suction mounts, the clear clip is mounted with 3M tape on mine.  Lukas provide two of these clips but this allows easy removal. Look at Dashcamtalk  for problems with various setups and Techmoan.  I just want a black box to record all the time I am driving with no visual display. The Lukas has a Wi Fi dongle to view it on an app smartphone. This is handy to get the cameras positioned for optimum  (I just blue tack them before 3m tape).  They do get very hot so you need to make sure they are well secured and be sure it not got a Battery.  (See Lukas web page) Also try to check it does not interfere with the radio. My first choice was a Blackview but there were reports of RFI causing problems.

What do you mean by "Most insurance companies will not accept cameras that be removed" ? 

Are you referring to the theft of the camera or something else ?

• Like 1

Thank you very much for this Ian.  I get my Prius Excel in March and will be looking to remove my current camera from my Zoe and install in the Prius.  It will be interesting to see if there are any fuse differences to the Business Edition +, hopefully not :smile:

Many insurance companies do not discount policies if the camera is deemed temporary. Cig lighter and suction cup removed every night is temporary.  When I first bought a camera I wanted one based on an aircraft black box principle. Fit  and forget small cameras like my rear one, control box out of sight, no lights or distractions but monitoring all the time. They do not exist. The nearest is the Blackview but some users reported RFI problems.  After a lot of research I bought the Lukas and have been very pleased with it. I bought in Canada, much less expensive than UK , and installed in an RV for a months tour. Front only. Temporary installations with visible cables are a bit like mobile phones, a distraction that can cause a loss of concentration. After more than 50 years of fitting wireless  kit in many types of vehicles  I have seen the damage shoddy installation with Scotchlock quick fit connectors can do. I prefer to do myself properly and take my time doing it once.

The Lukas mount allows you to remove the camera but it is hardly a temporary  fit. It is fit and forget but if you find my Auris bump clips you will see it is there when needed. Citroën have the best idea build the function into the existing cameras. I am wondering if the wi fi link can be viewed on my car screen with an APP?

9 minutes ago, cviclark said:

Many insurance companies do not discount policies if the camera is deemed temporary.

Not providing a discount is a bit different to not accepting something.

• Like 2

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for in car HD cameras. There isn't any stipulation that they have to be a plumbed in system.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

I have now finished the installation, its not as elegant as in the Auris due to the shroud around the radar on the Prius and the steep rake of front and rear screen.

First and most obvious step is to find the optimum position for the front camera.  There is really only one place on the Prius See pic 1 & 2.

P1020134.JPG

P1020138.JPG

The supply feed cable runs up to the roof lining at the top of the screen, tuck under the roof lining to the pillar around the pillar to the weather strip.Pic 3 I use the back of a spoon to tuck the cable under but it can be done with fingers just nothing sharp.

P1020133.JPG

Then down under the Black weather strip to the join under the glove box.

• Like 1

Feed the cable to the fuse box.  I use bullet connectors to connect the three supply wires to the car.  Black to ground.  You may need to run a cable up to a ground (metal bolt) terminal as the nearest bolts are into plastic. It is the brown cable in this pic running down from high under the dash.  The yellow goes to the 12v+ and red to the iGN.  The fuse taps both have red leads to large bullet sockets.  The camera feeds are very thin so I soldered the bullets as crimping thin wires may not work. but of course you could use terminal blocs with scews. Switch on and check view and live pics, On the Lukas you need an app to Tab or Phone for live pics.  Then move to the rear feed.

P1020139.JPGP1020140.JPGcP1020136.JPG 

• Like 1

Just out of interest what is RFI?

I have a BlackVue camera in my Toyota iQ and it's been faultless for the last 5 years. Okay, the SD card failed after 4 years but a new card had it working fine again.

Craig.

Just a question, when routing the cable down the A pillar are you not crossing the side curtain airbag?

On my Mark 1 Auris I ran the cable down the "front" of the A pillar until it was clear of the airbag then across the inside of the A pillar to the back of the glovebox. 

Jez

As before attach rear feed to the Camera then up to the top tuck under the same as the power feed to the weather strip. Along the top of the two doors to the boot tucking under the weather strip or between the head lining and plastic at pillars. Now comes the only hard bit,  I run the cable from under the roof lining trough the gator to the back tailgate.  This completely hides the cable but it aint easy.  The three plastic studs holding the lining up are prised out, best from between the roof and the lining to avoid damage.  The black gator peals back ok to reveal a white collar (both ends the same) but the collar cannot be accessed from the inside.  The collar has to come out of its housing or you will not be able to re-seat the gator.  The collar is held in place by four plastic clips, two either side of the long edge, but you only need to release one side to prise it out of its holder. Once the gator is off the collar is loose in the housing so you should see the tabs.  I used a long tye wrap to feed from the outside through the collar to inside the head lining, attach a long bit of string and pull through.  Then through the gator and finally from the gator outside the tailgate to inside. Then tape the string around the cable and plug to make it a smooth as possible and pull it through. You may need to stretch the gator over the plug as it goes through to stop it catching.  Then seat the gator over the white collars and reinsert them into position until you hear them click home.  Position the rear camera, file a slot for the cable and replace the plastic.  Check live feed. and its finished.  The last two are screen shots off the sd card via the viewer from the pc, This is how you would use it to capture evidence. Dull day in Wales and typical Toyota reflections do not help rear camera but you could still see any action. Note two chips in the Lukas a micro sd captures events triggered by G setting and an SDHC 32Gb captures always on video.  

P1020142.JPGP1020143.JPGP1020148.JPGP1020147.JPGFront Shot1.jpgrear shot.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jezclax said:

Just a question, when routing the cable down the A pillar are you not crossing the side curtain airbag?

On my Mark 1 Auris I ran the cable down the "front" of the A pillar until it was clear of the airbag then across the inside of the A pillar to the back of the glovebox. 

Jez

Not if you follow the join in the cover all the way around the top to the door weather strip, but its 6 of one half a dozen of the other. I just found it hid the cable better. Obviously do not pull the cable down the pillar. 

37 minutes ago, craggle said:

Just out of interest what is RFI?

I have a BlackVue camera in my Toyota iQ and it's been faultless for the last 5 years. Okay, the SD card failed after 4 years but a new card had it working fine again.

Craig.

There were reports on Dashcamtalk of radio frequency interference affecting FM and DAB with the BlackVue. This may well have been the feed to the rear proximity to the aerial.

The same problems can occur with LED lights that use switching drivers. It was about four years ago when I researched the market and it is a very neat camera.  Oddly Lukas have copied the design in their latest.  My other consideration was the power regulator built in to Lukas. 

Okay, cheers Ian

Can't say I've noticed any problems on the FM or DAB but then I do have a proper roof mounted DAB antenna and not a stick in the window type one. I have quite an old DR450 Blackvue with GPS and it's been great so far. Sits there discretely behind the mirror and talks to me when I start the car and turn it off. Other than that you wouldn't know it's there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, with a rear camera next time but they aren't too cheap. 

My parents asked me the other day about a camera for their car and soon as I said BlackVue, £300 they went a bit quiet. I will take a look at the Lukas cameras though as the picture quality looks very good.

Craig.

5 hours ago, craggle said:

Okay, cheers Ian

Can't say I've noticed any problems on the FM or DAB but then I do have a proper roof mounted DAB antenna and not a stick in the window type one. I have quite an old DR450 Blackvue with GPS and it's been great so far. Sits there discretely behind the mirror and talks to me when I start the car and turn it off. Other than that you wouldn't know it's there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, with a rear camera next time but they aren't too cheap. 

My parents asked me the other day about a camera for their car and soon as I said BlackVue, £300 they went a bit quiet. I will take a look at the Lukas cameras though as the picture quality looks very good.

Craig.

I bought mine in Canada from Calgary they are much cheaper there and they will ship to uk

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2017 at 2:42 PM, craggle said:

Okay, cheers Ian

Craig.

I have now finished the installation, its not as elegant as in the Auris due to the shroud around the radar on the Prius and the steep rake of front and rear screen.

First and most obvious step is to find the optimum position for the front camera.  There is really only one place on the Prius See pic 1 & 2.

P1020134.JPG

P1020138.JPG

The supply feed cable runs up to the roof lining at the top of the screen, tuck under the roof lining to the pillar around the pillar to the weather strip.Pic 3 I use the back of a spoon to tuck the cable under but it can be done with fingers just nothing sharp.

P1020133.JPG

• 1 month later...

Mine is a "temporary" install, but the wiring is routed down the passenger door seal, then across the floor (under the floor mat) to the cigarette lighter. Very unobtrusive install.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28 March 2017 at 0:22 PM, cviclark said:

P1020134.JPG

P1020138.JPG

P1020133.JPG

Can I recommend you re-do the run down the A pillar by removing the trim fully and making sure the cabling runs in line with the other cabling and isn't just tucked in there. As its been installed currently there it a very high chance that it'll interfere with the correct operation of the curtain airbag if its called upon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links