Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Prime vs Golf GTE

RomanCRO

Hello,

here are my thoughts so please  interfere :)

I have Auris hybrid. I like toyota, and i dont like VW. That being said, i am planing to buy plug in vehicle.

It has come down to Prime vs Gte.

This is my list of CONS / PROS

GTA - PRIUS

More EV range (50km max) - Prius around  40km

EV 0-100 10,5 seconds - Pius 16 seconds

Hybryd mode 0-100 7,6 seconds - prius 10,6 sec

3,5h - Prius 2 h charging time

5seats - prius 4 seats (this is big flaw for me)

Prius has better MPG on petrol engine

Toyota has better realability and ten year garantee on Battery, vs 8y for GTA

In my country GTA is around 3000 EUR more than Prime.

So what you say ? I am very supprised that toyota have less EV range, in less indoor space (4 seets).

How is it possible for WV to have such better specs in electric modes, regarding toyotas much more years of experience ?

Prius has smaller baterry, and it took more space than larger Battery in GTA?

Noe eaven comparing fun with driveing in EV in 10second to accelerate to 100km/h. Prius is 16sec so that would make ICE kick in more often.

What you say ? Sorry for the spelling mistakes :)

Has anyone driven a Prius Prime plugin yet?  Are there any in the UK?  I guess you are not in UK so perhaps you have the Prime where you are?

1 hour ago, johalareewi said:

Are there any in the UK? 

certainly not on sale & afaik will not be called Prime here.

No. I follow USA review, and local dealers specifications. I hope it will arrive soon for a test drive.

Isn't it going to be sold as the Prius PHV in Europe? Anyway, very hard to compare without physically seeing/driving it. I've heard good things about the way it drives, at least compared to previous models - but I don't know how it compares to the Golf GTE.

The comparison is between cars from different market segments - the Golf's true competition is the Auris. The Prius is in the next market segment up - Avensis, Passat, etc.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:00 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The comparison is between cars from different market segments - the Golf's true competition is the Auris. The Prius is in the next market segment up - Avensis, Passat, etc.

well no...Prius is 4 seats, so if you are reffering to size of a car, prius  is bigger, but golf have 5 seats so its the same.

also, there is no Auris plug in. We are comparing pug in hybrids with similar price range. here price of both cars, basic level are inside of 3000euros price

Toyota sell the Prius/Prius Plug-in in the D market segment as the hybrid alternative to the Avensis. The Golf is in the C market segment. Full stop.

• Like 1

I have a quest about EV mode. Does oddometer show total time driven in EV mode ?

So in 5 years it would be like this

TOTAL ODD : 50.000

EV ODD: 30.000

it would be very useful. When you are seeling the car buyer can see that car has 50.000 miles, but gas engine has only 20.000miles

35 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota sell the Prius/Prius Plug-in in the D market segment as the hybrid alternative to the Avensis. The Golf is in the C market segment. Full stop.

What determines the segment ? Engine, lenght of a car, seats, marketing flayer with "statement" of a factory which sengment it is ? half stop

1 hour ago, RomanCRO said:

What determines the segment ?

Size & configuration largely. EU Commission standards  - A: mini cars - B: small cars - C: medium cars - D: large cars - E: executive cars - F: luxury cars - S: sport coupes - M: multi purpose cars - J: sport utility cars (including off-road vehicles)

Wheelbase is also a consideration. For example the Prius/Prius Plug-in has the same size wheelbase as the Avensis.

7 hours ago, RomanCRO said:

I have a quest about EV mode. Does oddometer show total time driven in EV mode ?

So in 5 years it would be like this

TOTAL ODD : 50.000

EV ODD: 30.000

it would be very useful. When you are seeling the car buyer can see that car has 50.000 miles (80.47km), but gas engine has only 20.000miles (32.19km)

I would be surprised if it did.

You are thinking about this all wrong, in any case.

Toyota hybrids are low emission petrol vehicles with electric asset to reduce emissions (and as a bonus improved fuel economy).

You just need to drive it like any other petrol car and not try and fool yourself that it is an EV. The number of miles or kilometres driven in EV is irrelevant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Wheelbase is also a consideration. For example the Prius/Prius Plug-in has the same size wheelbase as the Avensis.

I can see where RomanCRO is coming from though; while the two cars are in different segments, they are both in a small number of vehicles in the medium to large class that have plugin capability and 4/5 seats.

Although I ended up with a Gen 3 then Gen 4 Prius, what I'd really hoped for was a Yaris size Hybrid with the same modern instruments, brilliantly flexible accommodation (more rear leg/headroom than the Auris of the day) and oddments space as all Yaris had until the 2012 model.  When they killed it on  all three counts and then added a really ugly (IMHO) whale mouth it steered me 180 degrees away from it.  Shame, because if they'd shoe-horned the 1.5 Litre Hybrid system into a 2009 (or even 1999!) Yaris, I'd have been in heaven!  The Prius is way bigger than I want or need (and won't even go in my garage!).

On 1/30/2017 at 5:21 AM, Joseph D said:

I would be surprised if it did.

You are thinking about this all wrong, in any case.

Toyota hybrids are low emission petrol vehicles with electric asset to reduce emissions (and as a bonus improved fuel economy).

You just need to drive it like any other petrol car and not try and fool yourself that it is an EV. The number of miles or kilometres driven in EV is irrelevant.

I disagree. I am not talging about Prius hybrid, but about Prius PLUG IN HYBRID, they are different cars.

If toyota made a "button" which enables you to drive only in EV mode, up to 130km/h and 25miles in range, then its MENT to be driven 25miles at max speed 130 like E vehicle.

So it is E vehicle for 25 miles.its irrelevant how far you made it on A oddometer, and B odommeter (irelevant in position of car industry) but is VERY relevant to a driver who drives it. Someone who spend XY euros more for hybrid plug in car, would like to know how much he did on EV.

If you go on spritmonitor, you can se experiences with prius, where owners did 600 miles total (from buying the car), and not used 1/4 of gas thank.

So yes, it could be driven like a E car, and ppl drive it like that, if it is in ther milege daily comute.

At the end of the day, this is rather a pointless discussion, as you're asking members of a UK based owners club to comment on a car which isn't available in the UK at present. Furthermore we don't know the exact specification of the Prius Prime/PHEV or whatever it will be called when it comes into the UK, or whether the European version will differ from the US version.

Thread locked.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links