Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back Door Now swinging open 90 Degrees

Ben99

Hi

I have a 5 Door 2001 Rav and I noticed today that the back door swings wide open to almost 90 degrees with a clunk noise.

It never used to open this wide and im a bit concerned the door will break off if im not too careful.

I noticed the top and bottom hinges are in place but there appear to be something missing in the middle which i think is called a "door check".

The question, is, do I need to take this to a garage or is it something I can order and fit myself?

Thanks

The standard check strap allows the door to open to 60 degrees. The following thread details fitting for a 90 degree check strap, but should be similar to replacing a standard strap - 

Should be able to get a price for a check strap from Parts-King - send a personal message detailing your car (reg.no as a minimum) and what you want - may be looking at £60'ish

• Like 1

Exactly the same problem on my 2005 Rav4, which I noticed the day after i collected it.  Took it back to the selling dealer and he ordered up a part from Toyota which allows the door to open to 90 deg.  He said it was expensive, but not how much.

I understand the 60deg is the UK standard, and the 90deg is "rest of the world" standard.  The latter is available on EBay.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The standard check strap allows the door to open to 60 degrees. The following thread details fitting for a 90 degree check strap, but should be similar to replacing a standard strap - 

Should be able to get a price for a check strap from Parts-King - send a personal message detailing your car (reg.no as a minimum) and what you want - may be looking at £60'ish

Thank you so much thats really helpful

I might order the part and get a local garage to fit it.

14 hours ago, IanML said:

Exactly the same problem on my 2005 Rav4, which I noticed the day after i collected it.  Took it back to the selling dealer and he ordered up a part from Toyota which allows the door to open to 90 deg.  He said it was expensive, but not how much.

I understand the 60deg is the UK standard, and the 90deg is "rest of the world" standard.  The latter is available on EBay.

So is it illegal to have it open at 90 degrees?

15 minutes ago, Ben99 said:

So is it illegal to have it open at 90 degrees?

The issue is that when the door is open at 90 degrees, it may prevent the rear lights/rear reflector on the one side being visible to other road users approaching from the rear.

An example of another manufacturers approach to getting around this is the Vauxhall/Opel Insignia Touring (estate). The rear lights are mounted on the tailgate which wraps around to the sides, and therefore lift with the tailgate when opened. To ensure the rear lighting complies with legislation and is visible from the rear, the manufacturer has incorporated secondary lighting units in the tailgate opening - see below:

insignia.jpg

insignia 2.jpg

• Like 1

My 90 deg strap has an intermediate stable position at 60 deg, so you can partially open it when on the carriageway, but fully open it on your driveway.  Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Wouldn't have taken Toyota much to put a red light in the door edge, so that when the door is open 90 degrees drivers approaching can see it.

I know that this is not a upgrade item etc, but there are MANY examples not only by Toyota, but other manufacturers on how we in the UK pay top prices and don't get various options and upgrades.  Some are not even available in the UK even if you want to pay for it.

We can thank Toyota GB for this, as it is them who decide what is available on the UK spec models.

Rant over !!!

I seem to remember my dad's 1980 Celica had red lights in the bottom outside corner of the doors, came on with teh interior light (from memory). Small thing but very noticeable at night. 

Jez

Don't actually need red lights - red reflectors of a sufficient size would address the legislation.

And that's what I have on my current Rav and the 2 before that.

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2017 at 11:51 PM, IanML said:

I had this ordered and fitted a month ago but the garage that fitted it said as it didn't come with the pin to connect, they had to find one. 

1 month on it looks like the pin is getting bent and will break off soon. 

How can I buy the pin on its own as the one the garage found appears to be the wrong type? 

Thanks

Ben I fitted the modded check and fitted a pin that I suspect your garage used.This was called a roll pin which a rolled bit of spring steel and hollow.Being a belt and braces type I doubted that the pin would not be robust enough a found a smaller roll pin which I was able to insert into the larger one making it so much stronger and that did the job OK

Del

• Like 1

My garage didn't bother with titchy roll pins - just used a bolt and nut.  May not look so pretty, but it is robust.

On 20/01/2017 at 11:51 PM, IanML said:

I had this ordered and fitted a month ago but the garage that fitted it said as it didn't come with the pin to connect, they had to find one. 

1 month on it looks like the pin is getting bent and will break off soon. 

How can I buy the pin on its own as the one the garage found appears to be the wrong type? 

Thanks

Will a thin nail work for the time being? 

Yes Ben a good fit nail will hold it for a while though I think a masonry one would last longer. These pins are usually bought in multi packs so I don't think you will be able to buy a one off.I once worked for a hire company and these were carried in the workshop stock. Do you have something similar around where you live,you may be able to cadge one for free. The thing is the top and bottom holes are slightly smaller than the one in the middle so that they grip the pin and stop it falling out

Del

• Like 1