Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunking noise from right wheel when turning left.

ironic

Hi everyone

Title says most of it. The most distinctive thing about the noise is that it is not related to driving speed. 

The banging noise happens due to vibrations in the road when in a left hand turn. Does not seem to be affected by acceleration as well. 

I think it also happens when driving straight going over pot holes, but it is hard to make out.

I am not the usual driver, but i was told this started suddenly. 

Any thoughts?

Thank You

Definitely, assuming your car has a front anti-roll bar fitted.

Get underneath the car and locate the end links as shown in the picture below. Grab the link with your hand and give it a good strong push and pull. You should be able to feel any excessive play in the link. Replace if the link feels sloppy or appears damaged in any way. Some links also have rubber bushings where they attach to the suspension. Check any rubber for deterioration.

Whilst you're under there, also check the condition and security of the bracket and bushing.

Sway_bar_illust1.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mine has been making knocking sounds (especially in left turns) since about 25k mileage, and you can hear/feel some play when janking it hard.

I havent been able to see where the "play" comes from - all bushings look fine from what I can tell.

But even if one or more are shot, there is no way I'm paying anything to fix it just to have it fail again after another 25k. If I wanted that I would have bought a german car.

What about removing the whole front sway bar setup? There will be slightly more body roll, and the car will be more prone to lift-off oversteer. But if I don't drive the absolute snot out of it on a daily basis, it might not be the worst idea?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links