Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keep it or part exchange?

andy white

We have a 2008 RAV 4, the 2.2 Diesel XTR. Great car and so reliable. It has now done 90,000 miles so starting to think should we be part exchanging for a newer model. We don't like the newer shape models and ideally would like to keep hold off this car but concerned about big bills to keep it going. I guess the diesel engine will keep going happily for another 90,000 miles but what major components are likely to need replacing in the next few years - clutch, suspension, anything else? What do you think?

You are gambling/weighing up potential repair costs against the definitely increased cost of depreciation on a newer vehicle.

Imo the high cost items that may require replacement (or they could go on for years yet depending upon your driving) would be DMF/clutch, DPF (if fitted) & injector(s). Very rarely  intercooler or turbo.

Plus on that age/model of engine there is the small possibility that it might develop head/head gasket issues where the Toyota sanctioned fix would cost more than the vehicle is worth.

My wife has an R reg 5 door 103 ,000 miles ,  think it's coming up to 20 year old , she won't part with is as she doesn't like the newer model shapes . We have had a new clutch and part of steering mechanism replaced over the years and 2 batteries . Still same exhaust , apart from a few minor other probs has always started first go,. She won't drive my Auris Estate Hybrid . Keep it going would be my answer . In the USA we drove one with over 300,000 on the clock 

You could very easily get a new car (or newish car) which could be problematic. You own a vehicle that you know the history of, you know how it's been kept. A new car has it's own issues, more advanced thenology etc mean repair bills will be higher on newer cars. For example, it was on the TV how the cost of insurance is going up and they wanted to know why. One reason was new parts cost. If you smashed the headlight of a 10 year old car that was just a bulb and some plastic then it'd be £70. If you smashed the headlight of a brand new BMW, with it's LED bulbs, follow me while I turn the wheel headlights, other electrical gadgetry, it'd cost upwards of £300 for the part alone.

I myself have a 2010 Peugeot 3008 and I bought it when it was 4 years old from Peugeot. In the 2 1/2 years I've had it it's needed a new clutch and flywheel (£800 - Peugeot wanted upwards of £1,200!) and the turbo is failing. The car hasn't done much over 65,000 miles. It's currently sat on my driveway while I organise it to be returned to Peugeot as it's on finance. What did I choose to replace it? A 1998 Corolla with 100,000 miles on the clock. I've had it nearly a year, and aside from an engine light and a cam belt change, it doesn't miss a beat.

So if it were me, I'd keep the old car until I was properly forced to get rid of it. Especially as there's nothing out at the moment you like.

I think Norman and mickburkesnr r making a lot of sense. My own mechanic said much the same to me. The younger the car the more expensive to repair things that go wrong. U never get what u would like to, for ur old motor - money wise, trading in. The only big money problem is the possible head gasket failure issue. Which would b big money to repair. If u can avoid that ( touch wood ). I think that I would drive away at what u have. A very nice motor. 

I recently bought a 2005 RAV4 with 92,000.  Lovely vehicle, rock solid.  Only thing I had to spend money on was a replacement sun visor and a second remote key.  I shall  keep it for years.

All of the above makes perfect sense. However, you should also be aware of the content in this thread and factor this consideration into your thinking ...

Thanks all for the info. Very useful and on balance I have decided to keep the car. Thanks for helping me to make up my mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links