Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Urgent help needed

Bhamuza

i Have a 2006 Avensis, 

the problem i have is that when i was driving an oil light came on and the engine shut down,

and now the engine wont turn at all, but the starter kicks.

What might be the problem. 

When was the last time you checked the engine oil level? What is showing on the dipstick now?

• Like 1

Engine seized! 

What engine does your car have? Engine size and fuel, odometer reading in KM/miles . The 1.8 1ZZ up to 2005/6 had oil burning issues. All face lift cars should be fine. Factor in that some pre-facelift car were built in 2005, but not registered until late - think cross over.

Another possibility is the engine (any type petrol or diesel) has had an oil pump failure, which has eventually seized the engine, through oil starvation. very unusual for a car of that age unless is has not had regular oil and filter changes of at least one a year. If the oil is drained into a clean container and then filtered, any metal bits may be in the oil, and the condition of the oil. If the engine really has seized, a mechanic will know when trying to turn it by hand. Then you have to go from there.

There are people who never service their cars, and I have seen some. It is worse when the car is sold on and there is no history of any sort - stamps, paperwork or receipts.

Hope you find a cheap solution to what could be an expensive problem.

• Like 1

Definatly sounds like engine siezed

first you need to get it looked at to confirm.

It will need a new engine, maybe a used or refurb.

What is the car worth?

IF the engine is seized then you'll need at least a new short motor, and if you're putting in a new motor then it's wise to get the clutch and flywheel checked at the same time, and of course the ancillaries like water pump, serpentine idler etc. You may be able to reuse the head bit it would have to be properly flushed to remove all traced of swarf.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve said:

first you need to get it looked at to confirm.

It will need a new engine, maybe a used or refurb.

What is the car worth?

its worth roughly R80k

I use £ UK Pounds.. where are you from? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links