Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare Wheel advice

Lewis Noble

Hello! New member here . . .

My son has recently bought a 14 reg Auris hybrid estate. Very pleased with it.  Nut it came with no spare wheel, only a tyre inflater / sealant kit.  He often goes camping at weekends, kids on board, keen to have a functional spare wheel.

The tyre / wheel size is 195/65 R15.  Yes, we could buy a space saver spare from Toyota, and I guess that the wheel nuts (alloy wheels on car) would be usable on the spacesaver spare. But we wonder if it is possible to fit a 'proper' steel wheel - the alloy wheels on the car fit (just) into the wheel well.

I have been unable to track down an alloy wheel from breakers yard.  All the 'eBay type' sellers of spare wheels say the Auris needs R16 wheels and refer me to the dealers. The dealers are happy to sell a space saver, and could order a steel wheel, but seem unsure re whether the wheel bolts would be compatible, or whether different ones would be needed.

My guess is that the space saver is probably the most reliable way to go? But any advice??

Lewis

A 16 inch wheel with a lower profile tyre could have the same overall diameter as a 15 inch wheel with a higher profile. 

alloys do use different wheel bolts to steel wheels, so why not buy a set of bolts (five bolts) suitable for steels to keep in the wheel well.

In the past, how often has your son had a puncture where he's had to change the wheel?

Think I'd go for the spacesaver.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links