Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tools and advice needed for replacing rear brake pads

gwebstech

Hi guys

Im changing my rear brake pads 2003 avensis estate, ive read online you need a 7mm allen key but after watching some videos cant see what for - is it right? i can only see a need for a 13 or 17 mm spanner.

Also i might do the front as well - whats a decent brand, and where from?   i dont need top of the range - its a runaround

thanks for the help

I checked a couple of videos: -

In both case only spanners are needed. You need brake piston rewind tool. I bought a universal kit which fits different types plus reverse side for left hand threads from eBay. Mk3 T27 Avensis need this, but not sure for Mk2 T25.  

Any decent brand brakes should be fine. Some have preferred brands. Avoid cheap brands. 

Edited by Konrad C
additional information
  • Like 2

The brake pads i's fairly easy to do on the T25 avensis just use the tools in the video or if you have a spanner set socket set use what fits.the piston are a push back system just push them in slow so your brake fluid won't over flow.

• Like 1

thanks for the help guys

i couldnt see why anyone said they used a key too

Could be possible for the use of an Allen key to replace the brake disc itself I'm not sure.I've my own front disc's to do too when weathers good so I will have Allen key set to be sure.

The 7mm Allen key tool is needed for the pre-face lift Mk1 T22 for the front calipers (my old car). I bought the tool for previous cars, and my Cavalier needed the tool. I have worked on the face lift VVTI T22 brakes, and they use standard bolts. I can assume that Toyota dropped the Allen type system, probably due to a change in brake caliper make/design. 

20170126_103306.jpg

The Draper 7mm Allen brake tool. The 7mm size was not always included with Allen key kits, hence the tool.

• Like 1