Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr

Riss

Hi to all,

A newbie on here and just wanted to say what a great club you have...

ive recently bought my wife a Toyota iq 1.0  59 reg manual and impressed with the little car,the other choice was a smart but Toyota won hands down 😉..what sort of fuel is expected with light footed town driving...do they need to be driven from cold or warmed up....bear in mind it's been very cold of late ...any advice or info would be much appreciated..regards Terry

Hello Terry - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the IQ club, where I'm sure IQ owners will provide some advice.

Hello and welcome.

I have the 1.33 manual. I would say with a cold start, just drive off straight away, but don't rev it too much for the first couple of miles to let it warm up, then you can rev it more.

Hi and welcome to the club :wink:

With light footed town driving you will expect to achieve around 35 - 37mpg (depending on length of journey)

This will go up above 45mpg out of town on longer journeys where the engine has had chance to fully warm up

I average 57 mpg on my 7.5 mile journey to work in my 1.0. My wife's Aygo 1.0 only averages 49 mpg on a 4 mile journey.

My town driving in this recent cold weather has produced 33mpg. 1.0 CVT. Upsetting.

In the current climate, fuel economy is up and down. I just can't get my fuel economy to settle down to what it was last year.  

If you are only doing 30-40, you can reach 320-330 miles before the fuel indicator starts to flash.  Also, when it does flash, you will have approximately 100 miles of fuel in the tank and pipe.

Will the tank run out with the last block flashing or will this disappear before it runs out?

It runs out with the last block flashing but don't risk it, fill it up before it starts flashing. My car has refused to start on two occasions with two bars left on the fuel gauge. 
Press the start button, hear the whine of the fuel pump sucking air and that's it, won't start until you top it up from a can again. 

I now fill up before the flashing light appears

Craig.

I find my first block will always disappear at around 100 miles. Is this the same for you?

The Auris and some other models share the same type of non-linear fuel gauge as the IQ - the following thread provides an example of operation - 

25 minutes ago, Kuneha said:

Much better miles per gallon than my car then. Hmph!

:) To be fair, it is down to driving style and many other factors as to when the first bar goes.

If you read the MPG thread, I've been able to get 520 miles on a full tank, during winter the nearest I can get is around 440-480 miles.

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2017 at 6:36 PM, Mark_P said:

In the current climate, fuel economy is up and down. I just can't get my fuel economy to settle down to what it was last year.  

If you are only doing 30-40, you can reach 320-330 miles before the fuel indicator starts to flash.  Also, when it does flash, you will have approximately 100 miles of fuel in the tank and pipe.

100 miles !!!?!??

I think 50 tops is a fair estimate.

16 minutes ago, Darth IQ73 said:

100 miles !!!?!??

I think 50 tops is a fair estimate.

Yep, I did just over 100 miles on a flashing indicator yesterday before having to top it up. It is possible.

Not going to chance it!! I always fill up when the level drops to 2 bars.

The wife even panics when we're out and I'm sat there all calm saying "we'll be ok for so many miles"!

Once it starts flashing, I reset the second mileage counter so i can see what distance I've covered.

1 hour ago, Mark_P said:

The wife even panics when we're out and I'm sat there all calm saying "we'll be ok for so many miles"!

Once it starts flashing, I reset the second mileage counter so i can see what distance I've covered.

That is what I do, should have approx 2 gallons(UK) in when the gauge starts to flash.

• Like 1

I refilled (to the brim) when the bar started flashing once and calculated there were 2 litres remaining. The gauge readout on the iQ's thin/flat tank is probably subject to some variation, hence my lack of trust in the accuracy of the readout.