Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aerial socket on roof

SteveR.

As I backed out of the garage this evening the roof aerial on my RAV4.3 caught in the up & over door and ripped out, taking part of the socket and a short length of wire with it. I'll take a closer look at it in the daylight tomorrow but I assume that I'll have to remove some roof lining and work from the inside to remove the broken socket and replace it. Does anyone have any tips on how best to do that?

Also, I expect I'll have to make the hole weatherproof until I source and fit a replacement socket. I might be able to do that by gluing the broken part back on but otherwise what's the best thing to use - a wodge of hot-melt glue or something?

When something similar happened to our previous i20, I used insulating tape wrapped around the aerial base. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I used duct tape for an emergency repair to keep the weather out for a while. I happened to have some in black, so it didn't even stand out too much.

Anyone in a similar situation might be interested in a follow-up. For the supply of a replacement antenna base (the sort of slanted conical bit that fits directly to the roof) my local Toyota dealer quoted me £212 +VAT. The part for the RAV (this model, at any rate) contains a little RF signal amplifier but even so, that's an outrageous price IMO. I picked up a suitable generic part from an internet supplier (with built-in RF amplifier like the original part) complete with a new whip mast for just twelve quid inc. delivery. It had a standard plug rather than the custom Toyota electrical plug, of course, but I just fitted a matching in-line socket (less than a couple of quid) onto the original cable. It all works and looks just fine, and saved me more than £200.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links