Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Light delay

Paul Howes

On my Auris the interior light comes on when i open the drivers door but only remains on for a couple of seconds before dimming and then going out. If i open the passenger door it remains on until the door is closed. This is a pain at this time of year as i then have to switch on a map reading light to see the ignition switch. Is there any way to extend the delay on the drivers side?

Your ignition switch is not illuminated? Mine has an orange circle illuminated by a LED that is connected to interior lights system. Maybe your LED is burned .

ign_swtch.JPG

On 1/25/2017 at 11:31 AM, Paul Howes said:

On my Auris the interior light comes on when i open the drivers door but only remains on for a couple of seconds before dimming and then going out. If i open the passenger door it remains on until the door is closed.  Is there any way to extend the delay on the drivers side?

You don't say which year of Auris but I can confirm that on our (previously owned) 2011 Auris the interior light performed the same irrespective of which door was opened.

When a door was opened the light came on (I'm almost certain it also came on when you unlocked the car using the remote).  If the door was kept open the light remained on (maybe it timed-out after 15 mins or something, but it certainly stayed on for a reasonable period).

If the door was closed WITH THE IGNITION OFF the light stayed on for a period (maybe 20 secs?), then faded out.

If the door was closed WITH THE IGNITION SWITCHED ON the light faded out straight away.

Both of my Auris (a 2009 and a 2012 model) had illumination to the ignition switch, and the interior lights performed as Alan described.

Thanks for that guys. It is a 2007 D4D. I checked this morning and there is an LED around the ignition switch. The top light came on with the door open but only stayed on about 5-10 seconds, not quite long enough for me to put the key in the ignition. If i open the passenger door the light stays on for the duration the door is open.

It seems strange that the light is working at first, ie when you first open the door, but then not continuing to work when the door is kept open.

Look around the door opening and see if there's a door switch - a push-button type swich with a rubber cover over it.  Pressing it in should make the light go out (after the time-out).  These switches screw on to the metal of the car, and this is where it gets it's earth.  Sometimes the contact gets dirty, thus giving a poor connection.  Maybe yours has part of the contact ok (so it gets a circuit and works when you open the door), and another part a bit dirty (so the curcuit closes and it thinks you've closed the door again).  They're usually only held on by one screw, and with it removed you can see the sliding contact.  If you take the wire and touch it against bare metal of the car body the light should come on.

you could try changing to led's for the interior lighting

as i have found the lights stay on longer once the door is closed.

i think there must be a capacitor that stores power and with a led

using less power the capacitor can run the led for longer before its power is drained

Thanks for all the advice. Turns out it was a sticking switch on the drivers door. Will also look to upgrade the interior lights to LED to add a bit more visibility.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links