Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puff white smoke

Cka2602

I'm looking for some help I have a 2010 2.2 diesel, it's a auto, fsh and done 60000 miles, I have notice some white smoke on start up especially on cold days and all so when its warmed up I get a puff when kick down the gears then goes, it's not using any water or oil, any ideas?????? 

Hi Clive, welcome to the forum :smile:

Of course on cold days at start you expect to see vapour from the exhaust until it warms up. Otherwise it could be to do with the DPF regeneration.

Hi,

Oh my lord...exact same issues with my vehicle, only i have noticed additional issues...to clarify i have a manual transmission 2010 66000 miler t4 2.0 diesel with fsh last serviced by Toyota in September...my first ever diesel just to add and still getting accustomed to eventhough its been a year to the day...however besides the smoke as you are experiencing...i noticed this morning that my oil dip stick is showing bang in the middle mark of min & max...idling at 11000...and sounds a little rough, however no dashboard warning lights on, and air con etc works perfect, cant see anything of concern under the bonnet either, although the belt is a bit squealish but replaced recent. Oh and disel consumption dropped...using a notch for every 30 miles approx!!! Not sure about how to check water usage by the way?

The vehicles under the extended warranty, will be calling Toyota tomorrow to ask their advice, i'd feel better getting it checked over, otherwise it would be me having to...

1.clean egr by removal

2.top up oil levels

3.flushing a good medication through it like Millers or Power Maxed ive read alot about

4.take her for a good 4th gear 70mph thrashing for an hour or so which breaks my heart everytime listening to it scream!!!

PLEASE let me know how you get on. Thank you.

Thanks for posting btw, meant to write a posting up last night, but didnt get around to it, early nights for me on these colder evenings!

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

.i noticed this morning that my oil dip stick is showing bang in the middle mark of min & max... Not a problem, these engines do use a little oil. How many miles since it was at full?

idling at 11000... I take it that you mean 1100 :tongue:this is normal for these engines if it is cold & you have a lot of load (lights, heating, a/c) on

Oh and disel consumption dropped...using a notch for every 30 miles approx!!! What does the computer say as average mpg & can you manually check fillup>fillup?

Not sure about how to check water usage by the way? check the expansion tank (when cold)

The op probably has a 2AD-FHV  & you have a 1AD-FTV. Depending upon when yours was made it may not even have a DPF as mid-2010 was when it was introduced to the 1AD afaik. 

Hi,

lol, yes i meant 1100, what was i thinking, what idles at 11000... a fighter jet maybe?

Average mpg shows 30.9 i think.

Booked into Toyota first thing tomorrow for an oil top up and tagging to monitor oil consumption...and hopefully a quick overall check if they're not too busy.

Will report back the experience!

On 1/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi,

lol, yes i meant 1100, what was i thinking, what idles at 11000... a fighter jet maybe?

Average mpg shows 30.9 i think. 

Booked into Toyota first thing tomorrow for an oil top up and tagging to monitor oil consumption...and hopefully a quick overall check if they're not too busy.

Will report back the experience!

I went and checked my average (1.8 Valvematic manual) = 35.4. That is over a mixture of stop/start, city traffic, hilly where I live, occasional motorway trips to Sussex. Oil level still at maximum since change back in July '16. If only I can stop stalling the car - no diesel like torque.

Sorry Sam if it sounds like I am rubbing it in. Hopefully it is all sorted. 

Good Afternoon All,

quick update, Toyota topped up my oil, took half a litre they stated, and then zeroed my trip B and asked me to monitor the oil weekly, and to go back if it drops again.

Otherwise, overall they said everything looked normal, think they spent a good 45mins looking over it.

Interesting how my vehicle always drives or feels so much better once its been into Toyota...or is it just me. 

On the journey home, stopped to buy some Millers diesel power ecomax...and Millers injector cleaner...And yes one more...Millers dpf cleaner...all top products that i'll use over the coming months...individually by the way!!!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links