Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dead batteries...

Santii

On 30/01/2017 at 10:44 AM, QuantumFireball said:

@Santii apparently has a Prius Plug-in - AFAIK the 12V battery will get charged when you plug it in, however I'm not sure if it can even start charging if the 12V is already dead.

Might be worth considering replacing the 12V battery as they don't seem to last very long, and being left discharged for weeks won't help it.

If the 12v is flat then nothing works - happened to me twice due to long spells in hospital, both times simple Battery pack attached to fuse box jump start point got everything running but on second occasion 12v Battery would not hold charge (not the cheapest Battery to replace) 

• Like 1

Thanks ! Roughly how much was it to replace?

can it be done diy?

getting my car today with a two year warranty so hopefully it will be covered?

The 12V Battery is more or less like any other car Battery, it's just a different size and underneath the boot floor. Instructions are in the owner's manual. Unless you can prove it's faulty I doubt it will be covered by warranty (may not cover the Battery either way).

On 02/02/2017 at 10:33 AM, Santii said:

Thanks ! Roughly how much was it to replace?

can it be done diy?

getting my car today with a two year warranty so hopefully it will be covered?

I had it done as part of a service with the dealer coming to collect the car, I think the Battery was about £140 which was not covered by my warranty. Changing the Battery looks fairly simple just need to remove a bit of trim in the boot but getting the right size Battery may be more of a problem

1 hour ago, aCactus said:

...I think the battery was about £140 which was not covered by my warranty...

I used to be when I had a Gen 1 Prius - I was surprised when the dealer said it was covered!

According to their website, a Prius Battery can be replaced by a dealer on the fixed privce scheme:   "Battery (Petrol)  £115"

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/repairs.json

I was just going to say Battery replacement can be done with MrT's fixed price scheme.  Used to be about £99 all in for a Prius.

On 27 January 2017 at 11:14 PM, Santii said:

That seems correct...so are these boosters expensive? Any make I should look for/avoid?

If its a planned long sitting of the car you're probably best using a solar Battery maintainer to prevent the Battery from going flat in the first place :)

• Like 1

What if your car is kept indoors? :)

Is disconnecting the 12V Battery a good idea, if it's going to be left for several weeks?

Not sure if the PiP 12v Battery lasts the same, less or more than an 'ordinary' Prius, but several non-PiP owners have found their car started ok after up to about 5 weeks at an airport if the Battery was in a good state when parked (a bit less for Gen 1 Prius which for some reason had a higher static drain on the 12v Battery, and could just about manage 4 weeks if everything was perfect).

Non-PiP owners have been known to disconnect the 12v if parking up for a long time, but the downside is having to reset things like radio tuning and either not deadlocking the car or leaving the boot slightly ajar (if parked in a locked garage).  I'm not sure if connecting a booster to the under-bonnet terminals would energise the central locking if the 12v battery is disconnected.

The Gen 1 was a bit easier because there was a cable operated boot release next to the fuel release lever.

• Like 1

There apparently is a manual boot release behind a panel inside the hatch, but obviously it's not very easy to access as you'd have to crawl through from the back seats. I believe earlier Gen 3 examples with keyless entry had trouble with Battery drain, but not sure if this was fixed with a software update or something else.

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

There apparently is a manual boot release behind a panel inside the hatch, but obviously it's not very easy to access as you'd have to crawl through from the back seats...

Even more fun if the car was deadlocked and you can't open the rear doors!

8 hours ago, QuantumFireball said:

What if your car is kept indoors? :)

Then plug the car in if its a PiP, or leave a maintenance charge on the Battery if not a PiP.

• 2 months later...

My prius car suddenly stop accelerating while running and despite too much effort it is not starting. Ready light is also not showing  in dashboard meter.can anyone tell what happened  to my car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links