Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dashcam power

Cambo-IQ

Hello. I've just joined as my son has bought an IQ and I get the 'pleasure' of maintaining it.

First task is to fit the Dashcam from his old car. Simple question, where is the best place to take power from in the IQ?

I took out the auxiliary power socket / cigarette lighter socket and wired onto the back of that. You can then feed the wire across the passenger dash quite easily and up the door pillar then tuck it in behind the roof lining.

I have heard of people using the power from the interior light as there is a permanent live feed up there and an earth but not sure what the fuse rating is for the lamp. The wires that feed it are pretty small as it's only powering a single LED. I have however modified my interior light to run 21 LED's and that is still working fine!

When you fix the camera make sure it looks through a bit of the screen covered by the window wiper arc. I was just outside when I first fitted mine and had some very blurry films. :wacko:

Craig.

Do you find the wiring for the dash can interferes with radio reception? My wiring seems to be causing so much noise and interference.

No radio problems with my camera. The radio aerial cable travels up the same door pillar I think but, haven't had any issues on both FM and DAB.

Craig.

On 30/01/2017 at 0:34 AM, Kuneha said:

The 12v socket is suitable no?

It is, I was wondering if there was something closer or people used a piggy back fuse.

On 30/01/2017 at 7:56 AM, craggle said:

I took out the auxiliary power socket / cigarette lighter socket and wired onto the back of that. You can then feed the wire across the passenger dash quite easily and up the door pillar then tuck it in behind the roof lining.

I have heard of people using the power from the interior light as there is a permanent live feed up there and an earth but not sure what the fuse rating is for the lamp. The wires that feed it are pretty small as it's only powering a single LED. I have however modified my interior light to run 21 LED's and that is still working fine!

When you fix the camera make sure it looks through a bit of the screen covered by the window wiper arc. I was just outside when I first fitted mine and had some very blurry films. :wacko:

Craig.

Thanks. I think I'll use the 12v socket. Given how powerful the interior light is I wouldn't be surprised if its actually damp string.

• Like 1

Hi

I just use a double usb charger out of the 12v , got it stick to the smooth top of the centre console, works a treat, and i dont have wires up the screen. 

I fitted a twin USB socket, wired to the aux plug. The USB socket was from eBay and listed as a Toyota switch replacement. Fitted it to the blank switch by the radio display. My Dashcam is mounted just above the central airbag display, so I've avoided wires trailing all the way up pillars.  Was a bit worried about interfering with the airbags. Works well, and I've got a Head Up Display (just speed displayed, due to the [frankly] inaccurate Toyota speedo) working through it as well.

7 minutes ago, jase4243 said:

Works well, and I've got a Head Up Display (just speed displayed, due to the [frankly] inaccurate Toyota speedo) working through it as well.

The majority of vehicle manufacturers fit optimistic speedometers which comply with the following legal requirement:

"In the UK, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. For all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph."

On 31/01/2017 at 0:41 AM, Kuneha said:

Do you find the wiring for the dash can interferes with radio reception? My wiring seems to be causing so much noise and interference.

Try fitting a clip on ferrite core filter to your Dashcam cable - eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Noise-Suppressor-Ferrite-Filters/dp/B00F4MEBKO/ref=pd_sbs_107_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MWG0A0VNHHV9FD2HNQ4A

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of vehicle manufacturers fit optimistic speedometers which comply with the following legal requirement:

"In the UK, the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. For all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph.

For example, if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph."

I was going to say you're wrong, its 10% but **** me I Googled it and it is 10% plus 6.25mph. I never knew that. Not wonder I get wound up in average speed camera roads with my accurate speedo :angry::biggrin:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links