Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

howling noise at 50mph

monkeydave

i have had my 66 1.33 yaris icon for a couple of weeks now and i have been getting a howl noise at around 50mph from the left rear area of the car, i dont know if it is the rear drum brakes cast iron type of noise or something else

anyone got any ideas, it is defenately not a wheel bearing as it sounds different and when you come down 40 mph and below it is not there or above 55 to 60 mph it is not there either

cheers guys

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Aerial?

don't think its ariel as it doesn't do it when i first start my trip seems to be lower down as well 

i  am stumped to think what it is, mechanical (rear brake hub), tyres or wind   its strange

Does it continue if you knock it into neutral and coast at that speed? This would test the drive train and exhaust.

Have you tried gently applying the handbrake at this speed to check if that's the cause?

Obviously only try the above on a clear stretch of road with nothing else around - downhill would be best.

I've been getting the same at just over 40. I think I know the reason, as what I have been doing seems to have cured it. When I have been closing the back hatch, I have been using the handle that is in the lower lip of the hatch. But I noticed that the hatch flexed, and I wondered whether it wasn't closing squarely. So I stopped using it, and now only close the back hatch buy pulling it down from the centre and finishing the closing by pushing firmly on the Badge. And so far the wind noise is greatly reduced, if not completely stopped.

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Does it continue if you knock it into neutral and coast at that speed? This would test the drive train and exhaust.

Have you tried gently applying the handbrake at this speed to check if that's the cause?

Obviously only try the above on a clear stretch of road with nothing else around - downhill would be best.

I have tried all that   hand brake no difference and If im at 70mph and brake hard it is still there until 40 then it is instantly gone

also when I went on my 120mile round trip yesterday it was quiet until I got there  at 50 miles and off the motorway it started and parked up for 6 hours and started back and it was there too at 50mph and all the way back it was there, at first I thought it was the brakes and now I think it is the crap tyres they fit on the car Dunlop i will check pressures next as they look low to me but they all do and it is only coming from the back left area at 50mph

if I go faster it goes away it is 45 to 55 mph where it is, the car has 300 miles and a pre registered so been sitting for 3 months which makes me think tyres and also it is the wheel where the petrol pipes are under the wheel arch but they are not rubbing on tyre

1 hour ago, Jonmartin said:

I've been getting the same at just over 40. I think I know the reason, as what I have been doing seems to have cured it. When I have been closing the back hatch, I have been using the handle that is in the lower lip of the hatch. But I noticed that the hatch flexed, and I wondered whether it wasn't closing squarely. So I stopped using it, and now only close the back hatch buy pulling it down from the centre and finishing the closing by pushing firmly on the Badge. And so far the wind noise is greatly reduced, if not completely stopped.

thanks for that I will try it,  mine does not appear on short runs only after a good few miles and then it will be there even after the car has been parked for hours before the return trip

I think it is a bad tyre at the back left but everyone else seems to be having this noise too.  what area is the noise and what tyres do you have fitted, are they Dunlop?

it is either tyres, wind or brake hub rubbing as I have rear drums, pulling the handbrake during the noise does not change anything    im really stumped but I am glad I am not the only one with this problem

3 hours ago, monkeydave said:

thanks for that I will try it,  mine does not appear on short runs only after a good few miles and then it will be there even after the car has been parked for hours before the return trip

I think it is a bad tyre at the back left but everyone else seems to be having this noise too.  what area is the noise and what tyres do you have fitted, are they Dunlop?

it is either tyres, wind or brake hub rubbing as I have rear drums, pulling the handbrake during the noise does not change anything    im really stumped but I am glad I am not the only one with this problem

The noise can vary as to which side at the back. The tyres are Continentals. It does seem to be a problem for a few.

2 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

The noise can vary as to which side at the back. The tyres are Continentals. It does seem to be a problem for a few.

mine is 100% back left and i dont think it is wheel bearing growl it is more of a howl and only after a run and at 45-55mph. noise never appears on local trips or even getting on the motorway so it might just need the tyre pumped up or it might be rubbish tyres, these dunlops do feel rock hard and not plyable like the mitchelins on my last car

i mean how unlucky would i be if it was a wheel bearing at 300 miles new car that has done it since i got it at 25 miles, although the first time i took it on the motorway the noise was there at 50 and then went away after i increased speed to 70 and the second time it was not there when i first went on the motorway but was there on the way back if i did under 70

well I think it is the brakes after all the left rear drum makes a noise over 50mph even when starting out and then the booming comes later after a good few miles.

both drums feel the same temperature and the brakes are working great and not binding, I will see how it goes and then get it booked in at the dealer when I know for sure that the mechanic can hear it. it must be the side of the shoe brushing against the drum inside or something

I thought it was too much of a coincidence that going back to rear drum brakes after discs for years and getting noise

it would probably just be a quick inspect and adjustment, I will get the tyres pumped up as well

i did a video for the noise, it didnt pick it up as good as i hoped and the noise gets louder too, also i was going over a bump in the road and the car lifted and the noise changed at the same time making me think it is tyres and not brakes despite the metalic type noise

i have dunlops all round and they do have a strange tread pattern that could be the cause and the tread does feel rock hard not plyable like mitchelins i had previously

i will have another go at capturing it when it is louder the next time i am on a longer trip

here is a better video of the noise but the camera still cant really pick it up as good as normal hearing

around 30 secs onwards is the best the whistle/howl noise gets

the noise starts about 35 to 40mph and is quiet again at 70 to 80mph

i just found out the dunlops sp sport fast response tyres on my car are summer tyres which i have never had before on any car, i always have all season and mitchelin energy savers mostly so it could be the tyres in this cold temps 4 deg c  and not the drum brakes and i doubt it is the wheel bearings, the car is new with 600 miles on now and the tyres are at correct pressure

thanks guys

Michelin Energy Savers are summer tyres.

47 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Michelin Energy Savers are summer tyres.

what you recon the noise is ?

here is it really good this time, any ideas what it could be?  bad tyre or drum brake or wheel bearing?  this is a new car with about 600 miles on it now and dunlop tyres, again its about 30 seconds in before the noise starts

cheers guys

well i jacked the car up today and i spun the wheels and the left side was dragging a lot and the right side just a tiny bit so i think that is where the noise it comming from at speed

the only problem with this is that when i brake from 70mph to 40mph the noise is still there and dissapears imediately at 40mph with the brake pedal pressed and pulling the hand brake while driving does not change the noise

also when starting out in the morning the noise does not appear until i have driven 5 mins or so and hit 40mph  but as the weather gets warmer it sometimes stars as soon as i hit 40mph

• 1 month later...

just to let everyone know i have been to the dealer and out with the mechanic and he heared it too, i got my car back and it was dirt in the left drum, they cleaned it and it is 95% better now, just the noise from the tyres (dunlops) so all is fixed if anyone else was having the same problem, how dirt got in the drum on a new car is anyones guess but i am happy with the result, lets hope it stays ok

they said it was a good will gesture only because it was a new car as it wasnt covered under warranty, which is a bit silly really but i didnt get charged so all is well

well the noise is just the same as it was before the trip to the dealer (well maybe 20% better), but i am convinced now it is these dunlop tyres as they go quieterover tarmac patches on the motorway, they are the loudest tyres i have ever had really sub standard, i cant wait to get some mitchelins on when they wear out

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links