Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2006 Petrol 1.8 VVT Oil Consumption

amatty

Hi have just bought a 2006 52000 mile 1.8 VVT Avensis which looks and runs just like new .

Have done 400 miles and there is no sign of using any oil which still looks very clean after 5,000 miles from the last change (don't know what is in it).

Have seen that some suffer from heavy oil consumption due to gummed up oil scraper rings.

Would changing the oil more often and using a thinner than normal 5w40 help to stop gumming up the rings, or might using supergrade fuel also help?

If owners engines start to use oil for the above reason could engine flushing be a fix?

Thanks for any interest.

Matty

your 2006 car should have all the production mods & shouldn't suffer.

• Like 1

Your engine is the updated 1ZZ VVTI. You don't need to worry about oil consumption problems. The engine updates happened during 2005. Is your car the face-lift, with the signal repeaters on the mirrors? If yes then even better. This is what the Avensis should have been.

For oil service use the normal 5w-30 grade.   

The 2006 facelift model, blinsk on the side mirros. Shouldn't suffer. Remember to use 5w-30 C2 (low ash) and you are good. Maybe do a engine flush whit additiv whit next oil change.

Thanks for the replies, I now feel very happy about the situation.

I am an 81 year old engineer (mechanical and electronic) and have run my 1952 Vincent Motorcycle since 1956 and have always carried out my own servicing and engine rebuilds on it.

Up until about 5 years ago I did all the work on my cars as well, including many engine and gearbox rebuilds.

This was OK on classic machines but  now needs too many special tools and acrobatics for me to cope , so I am pleased not to probably have to do a big repair to the Toyota.

Thanks for the advice

Matty

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links