Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendation for brighter headlights (Auris Mk1)

Wayne2015

How bright are your Auris (mk1) headlights?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How bright are your Auris (mk1) headlights?

• Very dim
    • Not bright enough
    • It's ok
    • Perfect
    • Too bright
    • Have replaced with a different bulb

Hi

I find my headlights really really poor since day one

Does anyone feel the same?

And if anyone have any suggestions for much brighter bulbs?

Is it an easy job to replace headlight bulbs?

Thanks!

Replace them with Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110%.  Fairly easy to replace, though access can be tight, and legal. H11 fitment for dipped beam. Available from Amazon, etc.

Mine where awful ... I swapped to HID a few years ago then swapped to some new LEDs recently ... And they are much better than standard (as bright as my HID) and much easier to fit than HID

Are HID and LED legal for cars original not fitted with them?

As far as I' m aware, no. There are third party HID kits and LED bulbs on sale, but they're not 'E-marked'. Aftermarket LED bulbs sold by Osram, for example, are currently marked for interior use. Been discussed previously on TOC.

• Like 1

They say they are road legal in the product description on the manufactures description they have passed MOT with no issue

The rules on it state that if fitted from factory they must have auto level and headlight washers that function but if those systems are not fitted after ward's then all it needs is a clear beam pattern and a colour as close to white as possible

5 hours ago, TashSmith said:

They say they are road legal in the product description on the manufactures description link?

they have passed MOT with no issue The MOT test is a safety/roadworthiness & emissions test, it does not prove road legality.

The rules on it state that if fitted from factory they must have auto level and headlight washers that function but if those systems are not fitted after ward's then all it needs is a clear beam pattern and a colour as close to white as possible Under UN ECE 48 - 06 if LEDs produce more than 2000 lumen they are required to have washers

Have a look yourself there's many options out there for LED dipped lighting now ... Some say not suitable/ not road legal, some do.

As for MOT and road laws they are both grey areas but both step in amongst each other so if you get pulled for inspection it's done at an MOT test centre for an MOT test.

Also the UN ECE is for new cars from the factory being sold on the European market. It will always be a contested subject I can see ... But I stand by my recommendation of using LED.

There is however nothing in the UK legislation that says about not being able to have LED lights fitted to your car without washers or auto level.

Just says that lights bust be as close to white as possible on the front of your car apart from your indicators and not dazzle othe road users and also pedestrians, cyclists etc.

So that would mean they are legal.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b0c24649b243a61c

So it's aimed at items not marked and fitted in a way that dazzles other road users ... I'm guessing neither of you have had HIDs or LEDs fitted in your Auris as neither have ever caused dazzle to other road users from me due to the way the auris projectors supply an excellent beam pattern.

Plus an old auto express article isn't based on current things on the market and isn't the final word of the law besides people selling items not marked for road use.

I would upload a picture of such beam pattern with the HIDs I had fitted against the LEDs I have now but it won't let me upload

The Auto Express article is less than one year old - March 2016.

Not had need to go for HID's or LED's - I have good eyesight, the fitted Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110% were well up to the job in both my 2009 Auris and my 2012 Auris without causing dazzle to other drivers.

My eyesight is perfectly fine.

Personally I found the factory osram bulbs aweful in the unlit roads I regularly drive in Cornwall, so I swapped to IllumiNite upgraded halogens and it was a massive improvement but I wanted a little more range to down the road I swapped to HID and it's was exactly what I was after. Then I wanted the instant maximum light output of HIDs without having to wait for the warm up of HID so went to LED and it's exactly what I'm after ...
That's my input I can see this post is just to be a debate so I will step back now after having my input, I bid you good night. Anyone wanting to know where I got them feel free to contact me.

The Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110% aren't the factory Osrams - being whiter and 110% brighter (as per their title). We regularly drive to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, and the Nightbreaker Unlimited were ideal and without going for the legally dubious HID's or LED's.

6 hours ago, TashSmith said:

There is however nothing in the UK legislation that says about not being able to have LED lights fitted to your car without washers or auto level.

There is actually nothing to do with LEDs at all in the UK under construction & use law & that means that strictly speaking they are illegal under UK laws - but EU/UN regulations override.

For legal road use they will require to be E-marked & if over 2000 lumens used with a washer system. Also, as a modification your insurer should be notified.

Granted that there are so few dedicated traffic police with limited time/resources that your chances of being pulled for it are limited.

1 hour ago, TashSmith said:

Personally I found the factory osram bulbs aweful

I would be very surprised if the car came with Osram from the factory (my 57 plate Avensis certainly didn't but I agree that the oem bulbs were dire & that Toyota tend to have a very strong cutoff). Having said that the manufacturers will have various grades of product at differing prices so they probably have a poorer but cheaper oem range available.

I think I stick with Night breakers then :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

I think I stick with Night breakers then :biggrin:

I had those type on the verso, the olriginal ones were poor. The ones in the Auris seem to be bright enough to me, maybe the previous owner had swapped them already.

" as neither have ever caused dazzle to other road users from me "

Are you 100% sure about that?

I put nightbreakers in my Auris back in November as the originals were a bit dim. The nighbreakers were definitely brighter but unfortunately they only lasted about 10 weeks. One blew just after Christmas the other one went last week, so I've put the originals back. I was careful not to touch the glass, so maybe I was just unlucky with them!

In my last Auris, the Night Breakers were installed in the first week from new (Oct 2012), and were still OK when I part exchanged it in August 2016

4 hours ago, jgodfrey said:

... but unfortunately they only lasted about 10 weeks...

In the product details list is specified that lifespan of bulbs is aprox. 300 hours, that means if they're operated continuously, lasted only twelve and a half days. I recommend using this wonderful bulbs only night time, when is necessary indeed, during day time use DRLs.

I used nightbreakers in my previous cars - some lasted years without a hitch, but in one car it just went in 6 weeks??!!! :ohmy:

Car happens to be at dealers

Dealer spotted main bulb gone

£13 fitted! :ohmy: