Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

how to jack with trolley jack

monkeydave

which points on a 66 plate yaris do i jack with a trolley jack as i have heared if i use the sissor jack points they bend and chip

thanks guys

See page 364 of the full owner's manual

I use the designated jacking points at the front and rear of each sill. Never had any bending or chipping with a trolley jack. I do, however, use an ice hockey puck with a suitable cut out to accomodate the pinch weld.

There are two other jacking points, front and rear, which Frosty has directed you towards. The rear one, in my opinion, is too high and decidedly unstable.

i wonder if anyone has had any bending when going to tyre fitting places ?

One member had their Auris damaged last year - see 

wow that is really bad, so your saying if the tyre fitter had jacked it on the sill in between the two triangles it would not have bent ?

and how do garages / toyota dealers lift the car on a two post lift?

i wish they would have a good hard point on the sills like my honda jazz had

Two post lifts have two arms on each post so pick up the car on four points.

2 hours ago, jonquirk said:

Two post lifts have two arms on each post so pick up the car on four points.

yeah i know but i thought only the sissor jack can be used on the sills or can trolley jacks be used too if you jack it on the two cut out marks on the sills ?

and is the reason that person got a bent wing because the mechanic jacked it up on the edge near the wing and not on the cut out marks ?

thanks

Did you read the first part of my post, Dave?

This part - " I use the designated jacking points at the front and rear of each sill. Never had any bending or chipping with a trolley jack. I do, however, use an ice hockey puck with a suitable cut out to accomodate the pinch weld."

So, no, not only the scissor jack can be used. The scissor jack (mine anyway) has a slot to accept the pinch weld so that the lifting force is applied on the reinforced part of the sill on each side of it. That's why I use the ice hockey puck, with cut out slot, to prevent the head of the trolley jack lifting directly at the pinch weld seam.

" i wish they would have a good hard point on the sills like my honda jazz had "

They do but only at the four jacking points on the sills.

When using a trolley jack on the rear I always go under the axle / spring seat. You can then lift it up without having the suspension drop as you go so you only lift it an inch or so and the tyre is off the ground.

On the front there is a huge bolt that holds the suspension, engine sub-frame on the bottom of the car. You camn see it by looking under the car just behind the front wheels. That is a very strong point so I jack under there. Never jack on the sills myself unless it's a roadside tyre change with the scissor jack.

Craig.

thanks guys,   i was just concerned because of the tyre places doing it on the sills and that aurus bent damage although they jacked it in the wrong place, when i lift it myself i would prob just uses them for axel stands and jack at the front and back positions as i have not got a hockey puck, or i might use a piece of wood instead

you would be amazed with the jazz points they are a soilid L shape 4 times as thick as the car steel and never bend, you would have thought toyota would do a better job being toyota and all

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links