Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Timing Chain Costs and Problem Solving

topgazza

Lots of posts on related subjects but need to ask some more.

Posted  something on this a few weeks ago but its still there of course. My wife's 2005 1.3 Yaris Colour Collection has developed a rattly noise which reading other posts seems likely to be something to do with the timing chain. We are /were about to P/X the car once we find one we like but that may take a few months. Car has been always been serviced from new on schedule with correct oil and filters etc. Its only done 67000 miles and I was wondering what the likely cost of having the chain and idlers replaced at dealer or Indy. My local indy charges £50 an hour labour and lord know what the Toyota dealer charges. I'll check on Monday but any indications here would be appreciated. I could record the engine but its a very distinct rattly noise. Car drives fine otherwise

Could it just be worn idlers as I've read that chains last a long time and certainly more than 67k ?

Is it noisier when cold, that's my experience of rattly timing chains?

I don't think I'd bother replacing it if you're thinking of getting rid of the car. I doubt if you'd recoup the cost.

Timing chains have been known to rattle happily away for years without problems.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.... we were just discussing that and the wife has just returned from the shops and now the engine is warm, it's quiet. Your advice is sound and probably what we'll do as we'll be trading it in.

Parts cost around £250. 

Dealers quote £500-£700 for entire job.

Check you have a genuine Toyota oil filter - non genuine ones tend to leak oil into the engine when engine is stopped. Low oil pressure on start up when cold = noise.

• Like 1

Just a thought, are you sure its the chain. I had a rattle on a previous t sport that turned out to be a loose baffle in the plastic inlet manifold. Three independent garages told me it was deffo the timing chain, but a investigation online suggested it was this baffle, which turned out to be the case. Cured by a self tapping screw the manifold in the appropriate place as indicated online. Apparently it was a common fault on yari with the plastic manifold. If you get someone to listen with a wooden stick on the timing cover / manifold, it should be fairly easy to identify the culprit. Hope this helps. Its unlikely to be the chain at 67k providing its had regular servicing.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I'll check that out. It does go quiet after warmed up but it still could be the manifold when expansion sets in. I've not done the ear to a screwdriver test, which I've used before on other things, but I will now. The old methods are the best

My car had its timing belt changed just before it was sold to me and all i can say is that it does make the car easier to sell and to get a price on it as this is common fault with these cars. I would make sure that it is the timing chain before investing in it as it is expensive however if it is i would suggest doing so.

• Like 1

Thanks Oliver. I will be checking what the actual noise is although it does seem to point to the belt. If I sell it to a private buyer I will get it done if required. Trouble is its £400 off a car that only worth £1800. Might as well trade it in for £1300 and not have the hassle for the sake of £100

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links