Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beeping sounds...

Santii

Hi

so I picked up the PiP last week and every couple of mile or so, I get a beep-beep sound every 30-40 seconds..

calling the dealer today, they say it's the speed camera warning signals coming on.

having confirmed the satnav was off and the audio system was not in use, they insist this is the reason???

any ideas please?

I've forgotten the menu structure of my Gen 3 already, but I'm fairly sure the speed camera warning is a separate control.  Either from the setup menu on the Nav screen, or one of the general Settings options, I think you can either turn off (or was it zero volume?) the camera sound.

I did turn it off on mine when I first got the car in 2012, hence my vague memory (plus age is against me!).

• Like 1

Hi PeteB, your age is absolutely amazing... turned off the volume to zero from sat nav menu and beep from general menu. Is the beep on/off from the general menu for sone other stuff? Engine/equipment fault indications?

As you found out, speed camera warnings work without the Nav or audio.

• Like 1

Beeping sounds mean either you are going too fast approaching a speed camera :angry: or backwards :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, aCactus said:

Beeping sounds mean either you are going too fast approaching a speed camera :angry: or backwards :biggrin:

Beep regardless of speed if you've got it setup that way.

OP, as others have said, it does it regardless of if the satnav / audio is in use. Handy in my opinion :)

Ah, found I'd still got the Gen 3 Nav manual on my PC:  page 68:

1 Touch “Speed limits” on the “Map settings” screen.

2 Touch the desired item.

“Show on map”: Touch to display the speed limits on the map.

“Audible warning, if limit exceeded by”: Touch to receive an audible warning, if the speed limit will be exceeded by a certain range.

I've set mine to only beep if I exceed the limit by more than 6 mph.   IIRC then Gen 3 Nav uses the true speed for this, not the Speedo's fudged version!

PS  I think the "beep on/off from the general menu" is just the beep you get (or not) when you touch a 'button' on the screen.

Speed camera beeps are a waste of time on built in satnav.  The data is so out of date.  The Prius does enough beeping without any extra ones!

11 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Speed camera beeps are a waste of time on built in satnav.  The data is so out of date.

Only if you never update your maps, and to be honest, generally speed camera's rarely move location, and unless on a new road, they don't seem to be overly expanding the fixed speed camera network - well certainly not around here and the parts of the country I visit regularly.

Road work speed cameras move all the time.  When I took the gen4 for a test drive along the m27, the camera beep was going ballistic because a year earlier, there had been a 50mph limit for major road works.