Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine conversion

Rach46

Hi peeps,anyone done an engine swap/conversion on a 1.3 1999 corolla? Wanting to fit a 1.6 ... :)

Something I'm looking in to, as I've got a 1998 1.3 where I want to get a different engine.

There are options, depending on budget. Someone asked this question years ago on the forum (link here) and the biggest, most expensive and most powerful engine you can get is the 4A-GZE which comes from the MR2. These are either massively expensive now, or really hard to find.

From what I've seen though I think the 1.8 petrol from the Mk1 Avensis can fit in the engine bay of our Corolla's. There's also talk of retrofitting a turbo to the 4EFE engine, making it a 4ETFE. But this requires upgrades to valve springs as well as other bits and pieces too. But again, the 4ETFE engines are hard to come by now and expensive.

Personally at some point I'm going to fit the 1.8, as turbos scare me. But you must also consider upgrading the brakes, as you're putting more power in to the car than it was meant to have. I'm not sure if the 1.6 versions of the Corolla E11 have stronger brakes.

I'm in the old school thought of if the car can go around a corner quicker, it'll be a quicker car. No good having all that power and going straight on at the first corner!

Haha like your thinking!! Just as long as you've decent shocks & suspension going round those corners 😆. I'm thinking of turning my 1.3 into a g6r with a 1.6 4A-FE engine just not sure if it's a straight swap? Brakes & suspension upgrade a defo,possibly lowered ..plenty corners on these country roads!  Crx engine would be nice but am thinking this may not be as straight forward ... :)

1 hour ago, Rach46 said:

Haha like your thinking!! Just as long as you've decent shocks & suspension going round those corners 😆. I'm thinking of turning my 1.3 into a g6r with a 1.6 4A-FE engine just not sure if it's a straight swap? Brakes & suspension upgrade a defo,possibly lowered ..plenty corners on these country roads!  Crx engine would be nice but am thinking this may not be as straight forward ... :)

What about a 2zz 1.8 from a T sport?

I don't know whether it'd be cheaper to buy a G6R than spending money on your current Corolla.

I have just bought a g6r but nowhere to store othe car for spares,so was thinking of turning it into another g6r. Or sell for spares or run about..but probably scap if not 😢

I think it's just if you put the effort in to change engines etc in this spare car, it'll cost more than what you'd buy a G6R for.

Entirely up to you, but you could do what Ant182 does and drive the car in the Toyota Sprint Cup. That way you can still use the car, and change little bits to get the most out of it, making it a unique car if this makes sense?

• Like 1

It does make a lot of sense, this is defo worth a thought,need to investigate Toyota sprint cup..🤔 Thanks for your thoughts & help..gonna enjoy my g6r though 😬😳🙈😀