Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whining Noise in 1st and 2nd

fatbob

Hi All,

I'm new here - and to owning Toyota's too. I recently bought a 2003 Rav4 GX, 5 door 2.0 petrol with 110K on the clock. I has a whine in 1st and 2nd gears when accelerating but it disappears in all other gears. It doesn't happen when going downhill with the throttle closed either. Should I worry?

I sometimes drive a Hi Lux for work (that's what made me buy Toyota  -it just never gives up) and that has a bit of a whine to it - is it a Toyota 'thing'?

Thanks in advance fro your help - I really like the Rav but am starting to worry it is going to go bang soon...

Cheers,

Bob.

It could be the clutch release bearing, but if the clutch is otherwise ok, I wouldn't worry too much, unless it becomes unbearable.

It could also be a bearing in the gearbox - you could try changing the gearbox oil for a good quality synthetic - can't do any harm.

Hi,

Took it to a local garage who said much the same thing - noisy bearing and treat it to an oil change to stop it getting any worse. Dealer I bought it from is doing this for me this week. Here's hoping...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links