Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ongoing strange noise with new 2016 Auris

silverwood02

Ok- many posts have been made regarding this - and no one (not even Toyota) seems to be  able to explain it.

In my case I get it once the car has been driving at speed (over 50) for more than 30 mins or so.

If you want to hear the noise - watch this video(its not mine - but is does have the same noise - my car is right hand drive):

Does anyone have any ideas?

Keith

What about transmission bearings? Is the sound present in every gear, or can it go away with a gear change? 

What if you race 2.nd gear to the rev limiter, will the sound be back, or do you have to change to 3.rd gear? 

Another option could be the air intake, when the air is forced through hoses and airbox, maybe something is creating turbulence? 

The sound is only present in 5th or 6th gear and when going at 50 mph or more. If you apply brakes it goes, after which if you increase speed again it does not come straight back. Takes a while. The dealer says it is road noise. If so it means every car will have this sound - I am not aware of it. Does your car have it?

Not at all. Not at any speed. If your noise only is present in 5.th and 6.th gear, it can never be road noise. I would still say, that it sound like a bad gearbox. I don't think any hybrids makes the sound. 

The original post on You Tube has been updated, the guy says his dealer said it was brakes.

4 hours ago, nielshm said:

Not at all. Not at any speed. If your noise only is present in 5.th and 6.th gear, it can never be road noise. I would still say, that it sound like a bad gearbox. I don't think any hybrids makes the sound. 

Have a Mk 2 pre-update HSD and get "the noise" occasionally - usually only aware of it on long downhill cruises. Rare enough to not be bothered by it, and trying to convince a dealer of it would be hard work

There is actually a bulletin that may relate to this:

Ref #  CP-0157T-1214

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

Some customers may experience and report abnormal "whistle" type of noise while driving by constant speed between 70-120 km/h without braking, which is coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise tends to change or disappear, when brake force is applied, or when steering input is given. The phenomenon usually occurs after several minutes of driving (more than 20 minutes)

PRODUCTION CHANGE

No mass production change available, new adoption of front brake pads with centre slot as field fix solution only.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

Replace original front brake pad kit by field fix kit in accordance with repair manual. Note: This kit is effective to the phenomenon described above only. Do not use for other type of noises!

How come my local dealer in Scarborough does not know about this?

Keith

Could be that they didn't check the bulletins thoroughly enough ....

19 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Could be that they didn't check the bulletins thoroughly enough ....

They do seem quite dismissive towards me and keep insisting it is 'road noise'.

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, Devon Aygo said:

There is actually a bulletin that may relate to this:

Ref #  CP-0157T-1214

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

Some customers may experience and report abnormal "whistle" type of noise while driving by constant speed between 70-120 km/h without braking, which is coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise tends to change or disappear, when brake force is applied, or when steering input is given. The phenomenon usually occurs after several minutes of driving (more than 20 minutes)

PRODUCTION CHANGE

No mass production change available, new adoption of front brake pads with centre slot as field fix solution only.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

Replace original front brake pad kit by field fix kit in accordance with repair manual. Note: This kit is effective to the phenomenon described above only. Do not use for other type of noises!

I am getting nowhere fast with this. Do you or anyone else out there have a date when this was issued please.

Thanks.

Keith P.

The bulletin was issued in dec 2014 the date of issue is however irrelevant as the bulletin relates to a "field fix" no car off the production line would have the alternative brake pads fitted.

15 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The bulletin was issued in dec 2014 the date of issue is however irrelevant as the bulletin relates to a "field fix" no car off the production line would have the alternative brake pads fitted.

Does this apply to UK cars?

My dealer knows nothing about this - I have sent him the link, but it would be helpful to know please.

I doubt whether Lee would have posted the bulletin details if it excluded cars sold in the UK. Also bear in mind the Toyota plant in Burnaston is the European production centre for the Auris.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I doubt whether Lee would have posted the bulletin details if it excluded cars sold in the UK. Also bear in mind the Toyota plant in Burnaston is the European production centre for the Auris.

Not sure what is happening here BUT - both the dealer AND Toyota know nothing about this. Has this post/ reply to my genuine query,  been done as some sort of joke?

If so it is in very poor taste. If however if is true - perhaps someone can send Toyota the details.

Devon Aygo works for a Toyota dealer on the service/warranty side.

44 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Devon Aygo works for a Toyota dealer on the service/warranty side.

Ok - But all I know is Toyota HQ claim to know nothing about this.

As a customer I am stuck in the middle here - all I want is an answer and to get the issue resolved.

OP could get the reference from http://www.toyota-tech.eu/TLLogin.aspx?redirecturl=aHR0cDovL3d3dy50b3lvdGEtdGVjaC5ldS9OYXZpZ2F0aW9uL0Jhc2U=

Input your VIN, or model details, and search under "repair" heading to see the TSB titles and issue date, relevant to your vehicle. 

2 hours ago, silverwood02 said:

Not sure what is happening here BUT - both the dealer AND Toyota know nothing about this. Has this post/ reply to my genuine query,  been done as some sort of joke?

If so it is in very poor taste. If however if is true - perhaps someone can send Toyota the details.

1 hour ago, silverwood02 said:

Ok - But all I know is Toyota HQ claim to know nothing about this.

As a customer I am stuck in the middle here - all I want is an answer and to get the issue resolved.

I doubt very much whether Toyota GB customer care have access to the Toyota Service Bulletins and similar service documentation, and, if they did, they wouldn't discuss them with customers.

As regards Devon Aygo, Lee

1. does work for a Toyota dealer,

2. provides the forums with a lot of expert knowledge,

3. is one of the Club's Super Moderators and,

4. is a valued member of the Club's management team.

I'm not impressed that his knowledge and expertise are being questioned.

• Like 1

Have you actually e-mailed the dealer a copy of the bulletin details that Lee provided, or have you just spoken to them by phone?

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Have you actually e-mailed the dealer a copy of the bulletin details that Lee provided, or have you just spoken to them by phone?

They have copies and a link to this post. All I know is one side says one thing (which I thought very helpful & am grateful for) and the other side (Toyota/ Dealer) say another.

I just want the issue addressed.

Not much to ask for.

And I am really grateful for your various posts/ help. Thank you.

5 hours ago, cobh18 said:

OP could get the reference from http://www.toyota-tech.eu/TLLogin.aspx?redirecturl=aHR0cDovL3d3dy50b3lvdGEtdGVjaC5ldS9OYXZpZ2F0aW9uL0Jhc2U=

Input your VIN, or model details, and search under "repair" heading to see the TSB titles and issue date, relevant to your vehicle. 

Tried that - but the 'bulletin' does not appear.

1 hour ago, silverwood02 said:

They have copies and a link to this post. All I know is one side says one thing (which I thought very helpful & am grateful for) and the other side (Toyota/ Dealer) say another.

I just want the issue addressed.

Not much to ask for.

And I am really grateful for your various posts/ help. Thank you.

In which case, it seems that you're realistically at an impasse

Ok in case anyone else is interested, the dealer & Toyota has 'found' the bulletin  now. However they say its does not refer to my 2016 Auris. The good news is that they are going to try and sort something out, I guess at last they except it is not 'road noise', so I seem to be getting somewhere. The car has its first service on 27 Feb, so I should now then if anything is happening.

Again thanks to you all for persevering.

Keith

• 3 years later...

I also experience the same noise today in  autobahn at about 100 kph. Coincidentally, I just re lube the rear brake guide pin wit h silicon grease. Only happened for about 2 minutes and out was gone on the rest of 2 hours trip.  Any update for the problem,,? Is it serious or just resonance from somewhere.