Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ongoing strange noise with new 2016 Auris

silverwood02

It is possible that the brake booster is the problem like in this video, it was on hybrid and probably it is costly to fix.  But yours is not hybrid, so I cannot really tell either. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same noise as you described on 2013 auris,starts after 20minutes of driving and when applying pressure to brakes it stops and continued after that.comes and goes at the minute,but I know it will get worse,what was the end result of your problem?my mechanic can't find a problem.

• 2 years later...

It’s the discs! Toyota don’t put a retaining bolt on them so when you brake the disc moves a few mm’s and hits the wheel bolts. Only way to stop it is to put some small Orings in between the wheel bolts & the disc. Terrible design from Toyota but if you take the wheel off and move the disc you will see

58 minutes ago, SP Autos said:

It’s the discs! Toyota don’t put a retaining bolt on them so when you brake the disc moves a few mm’s and hits the wheel bolts. Only way to stop it is to put some small Orings in between the wheel bolts & the disc. Terrible design from Toyota but if you take the wheel off and move the disc you will see

How do you think this is possible to happen?
When you install the wheel the nuts enter these holes to centre the disc and wheel combo, then torque to specs and nothing will move even slightly. The noises on the videos comes from worn out pads and their acoustic warning. Press the brake pedal and the noise disappear means exactly that. 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is usually from the worn pads and the squealing noise is the noise/sensor to tell the owner to replace the pads.   Recently, I have pulsasing squeaking noise after hitting curb on the rear wheel.  I opened the brake pads and it turns out the Bosch calipers have some corrosion and cause the pads not sliding easily.  I opened the caliper, clean the rust, lube it with silicon grease, and put them all back. No noise 1000 miles later.   The wear pattern on the disc and pads are good and normal unlike no my front brakes (the inner 80% wear outer 50% wear). 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:17 PM, Maria22 said:

I'm having the same noise as you described on 2013 auris,starts after 20minutes of driving and when applying pressure to brakes it stops and continued after that.comes and goes at the minute,but I know it will get worse,what was the end result of your problem?my mechanic can't find a problem.

Yours is probably like what I had.  A rusty calipers, just clean it with wire brush and files should remedy the issue. Also check the pin sliding bolts, it must slide smoothly.  

Disk are fitted with a brass/copper finger when this hits the rotor its a warning sound from it vibrating time to change the pads.

Its also a good Idear to put some copper grease on bolt sliders and ends of the pads when replacing or cleaning them.

You need to check the thickness of the rotor if its in specifications then just grind off some of the outer lip if its deep.

no milage/wear mentioned here,also someone mentioned,lube the pins. I heard that will attract grit. lack of comment shows isolated cases.

Generally, we must lube the sliding pin bolts with rubber safe grease, silicon for sure. It is completely sealed and last long. The caliper surface where it meets the brake hardware or brackets often got corroded. Long lasting grease will slow down corrosion there and will not be a problem even if it is cover with dust and sands. 

For the backing plate of the brake pads and shims, we also need to lube it with high temp silicon grease to prevent squealing when braking. 

The tip of the pads and back of the pads meeting the calipers  or piston and brackets are optional to be greased. It does not hurt nor help. 

Only the backing plates of the brake pads and sliding pins must be lubed. Dry sliding pins is the main cause of uneven wear on brake pads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links