Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving style

bluerav4

This will sound a bit weird. I'm quite a light footed driver and always have been. I tend to change gears really quick and a friend said that I'm putting too much strain on the engine.

i tend to change gear at around 1500-2000 revs. Does that sound about right?

I appreciate that everyone has their own style. I have always driven like this but all our previous cars have been petrol and this is a diesel Rav 4 T180 and apparently I need to get to at least 3000 revs and change gear as I'm not doing the engine any favours so my friend reckons.

cheers 

Depends, inner city driving I change gear at about 2,000 rpm. If I'm going on the motorway I change gear between 3,700 and 4,000 rpm. I only do this as this is where the peak torque range is.

I'm of the belief that if you're making the engine labour then you're doing something wrong. So if it sounds like the engine is struggling in the gear you're in because you changed too quickly, then I'd go down. But I think the RPM's come in to it if you're changing up a gear too early, which means lower RPM's, this then results in the car not going fast enough, the engine is then struggling to accelerate the car because it doesn't have the momentum behind it.

Peak torque on a T180 is around 2000 rpm so changing up before 2000 rpm isn't really helpful (to you or the engine). But equally the gear ratios on the T180 are fairly close so you'd be well advised to change up before you reach 2400 / 2500 rpm to maintain the engine at around peak torque (and therefore efficiency). You really don't want to be going anywhere near 3000 rpm (unless you are really looking to go flat out!). This is a diesel and all the useful grunt is at the lower end.

I assume that Mick's Corolla is petrol powered and your friend doesn't drive a diesel ...

peak torque is ~1900-2500 iirc.

Obviously will vary according to which gear/what you are doing etc. but ~1500-2700 or 2800 should cover pretty much all that you need fo 90% of the time.

Thanks for the replies guys it does make sense and I understand what you've posted. 

My friend drives an automatic BMW X3 🤢 come to think of it he did offer to swap but I Kindly refused. Wonder if that was a way to get her hands on a T180.

joking aside this is my 2nd diesel the first was 2002 D4D Rav and that seemed ok at changing gears quick I was under the impression it was more economical. 

Anyway ive just driven to Leicester and back and have taken your advice and it has made a difference. Watching the instant mpg line it's better now and not on the low side when changing quicker. I'll keep an eye on this and see if it makes a difference in fuel consumption too. I'm not expecting a massive change but it has creeped up slightly but need to try and stick to it.

cheers again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links