Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T Sport Heater MAtrix

T Sport02

Hi All. not sure if this has been queried before.

Have been having problems with the car misting up continuously. Just discovered the heater matrix has started leaking on passenger side. I have been looking for a new matrix and come across the age old problem of ....there are two choices !!!! 

Has the car got climate control or just aircon. Call me ignorant but I'm not sure and even my local dealer couldn't tell me.

The car is a 2002 version pic below and looking at the manual it seems like its just aircon but most posts on the internet mention climate control....

HELP

Cheers Steve

T Sport.jpg

Looks like climate control to me. I had a Tsport with the same problem. First it would blow cold air after that was sorted it started leaking. I did get it fixed from a local garage but the did have the car for the whole day to put a new one in. They did say it was a pain in the back side though 

Thread moved to the Corolla club.

I have just completed a matrix change so can speak from experience. 

The last button on the left is marked auto so I think this is climate control. However, I ordered the climate control version from Motorads online and it was the wrong size. (Not deep enough). Exchanged for non climate control and this fitted perfectly. There are two thicknesses so seeing which dimensions you have will provide the definite answer.

It is possible to exchange the matrix through the glove box and without cutting the ECU mount. Removing the blower housing screws will give you enough movement to change the matrix over. 

Hope this helps.

Cyclopse

• Like 1

Hi Cyclopse. The only thing I not sure of is how to remove the plastic cover shown in the photo. It has a plug on it which I guess has to be removed.

I've got a new matrix so now comes the fiddly bit.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Cheers Steve

IMG_1941.JPG

• Like 1

Yes done this bit. Disconnect the white electrical connector and remove connector from its anchor in the black housing. Unscrew the screw and bolt in your picture. On the right side of the housing you will see a slot and plastic lug you need to press on to separate. The whole housing will now come out. There is one more plastic housing which covers the heater pipes. This is secured at three points. Front top and bottom and one to the rear. There are lugs that need to be squeezed together to release the plastic mounts. For me these broke off in the removal. Not a problem, I used cable ties to secure for reassembly.

You are nearly there.

Cyclopse

• Like 1

Thanks  cyclopse,

Out with a struggle and back in with a bit of a struggle. Didn't cut or damage anything. Had a bit of trouble getting the clips back on, I took a while trying to get the pipe to mate up with the matrix close enough. So....... did it work I hear you ask ????? :unsure:

Don't know. It doesn't leak but on Thurs night the serpentine belt shredded and I can't undo the bolt holding the tensioner therefore no Battery.  Job for mechanic on Monday.

Goddammit :angry: 

Will update Tuesday hopefully

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You dont need to undo the tensioner. You need to lever the tensioner by the welded nut on it. Can't remember the size but you need to lever it towards the radiator. It's a bit awkward but a long breaker bar and flexible head will do the trick.

Also, if that's your interior the clocks are wrong for a t sport.

2 hours ago, bogsausage said:

Also, if that's your interior the clocks are wrong for a t sport.

Well spotted, limiter looks to be 6.4k

Wrong clocks ? Not sure what you mean by that. This was a generic pic taken from Google images but still looks the same as mine.

Bogsausage - you are very right. Didn't know this until mechanic sorted it. He only charged me £14 so everything works again.

Shame the engine warning lights are back on again.........

Tachometer should go to 9k and be back-lit in orangey red for a t sport. Glad you got it sorted... It's a right pita first time but once you've done a couple, serpentine belts and matrix I mean lol.